water constantly draining need help not sure if its pressure tank or softener problem

Users who are viewing this thread

marisa rae

Reaction score
We have a aqua air v60 pressure tank and an rainsoft softner.... water is constantly draining from somewhere? but it looks like it's originating from the pressure tank... It's snaking through the basement to the drain for the washing machine.. where the softener system normally drains and normally the system only drains when it cycles which is once a day. The system is NOT cycling but the draining continues?? Help? What is causing this and should i call the softening system repair guy or a plumber? Thank so much ...Need help asap as the repair guy could be here this afternoon....

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The tank could be leaking or the softener could be malfunctioning. You should shut off the power to the well pump until you can get someone there to properly diagnose the problem.

marisa rae

Reaction score
Pressure tank or water softener? Water constantly draining-- Need input

We have a aqua air v60 pressure tank and an rainsoft softner.... water is constantly draining from somewhere? but it looks like it's originating from the pressure tank... It's snaking through the basement to the drain for the washing machine.. where the softener system normally drains and normally the system only drains when it cycles which is once a day. The system is NOT cycling but the draining continues?? Help? What is causing this and should i call the softening system repair guy or a plumber? Thank so much ...Need help asap as the repair guy could be here this afternoon....

Update: So when I bypass the softener the drain is still continuing. The water softener repair person is insisting it's the water pressure tank and I called a plumber who is insisting it's the water softener... When I turn on all the faucets upstairs or the washing machine the water stops draining and seems to reverse initially. the pressure in the pressure tank now that I've removed a wall to get to it ( thank previous owners!) is 34...
Help? Who to call?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't think there is any need for a rocket scientist here. Use towels, fans, etc to dry the area between the fixtures so you can tell which side the water is coming from.

marisa rae

Reaction score
it's draining through a clear hose...which I'm assuming is the water softener but the technician doesn't think so...no moist/damp fixtures..no pressure loss...no spillage.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
And where is the clear hose coming from? If I had to guess, I would think the control head on the water softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks