Water coming under base of toilet, sewer gas smell laundry room?

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyNails

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted before with my tricky leak problem and unfortunately there was not resolution. BUT I have a little new info, so thought that might help.

Water is leaking out under the base of the toilet in the master bath, not every time you use it, it just seems every few days. There is sometimes a sewer gas smell in there. A smell kind of like rotten eggs comes from the washing machine sometimes while a wash is in progress, but not every time. We have had the wax ring under the toilet changed and a toilet to bowl kit in the tank, even though neither really seemed necessary -- they were just attempts to fix what might be common problems.

I have tried narrowing down what may be causing the water. First off, when it leaks, there is always some coming out on the right-side base of the toilet (I put paper towels or tp in various spots to see where it's coming out). Sometimes it also comes out on the left side base. BUT sometimes a good bit also soaks a paper towel placed a good 8 or 10 inches away off to the side along the wall, not directly behind the toilet (I was told water could possibly be coming under the wall somehow and to check for that -- well, if it is, it is also without doubt coming from under the base of the toilet, too).

I tried a week of using the shower only; no leaks. A few days of the sink only; no leaks. A week of the toilet only; no leaks. The first time we used the toilet and then the sink -- big leaking! By chance it was a time when my husband used the master bath and I used my shower about 15 minutes later, I don't know if this is related to why it leaked that time. No leaks until four days later, again after we both had used a shower at about the same time.

Rotorooter was out again yesterday and he doesn't think there is significance to both showers being used at the same time due to pipe layout, or to the master shower being used either. I was told there could be a pinhole leak in the toilet, maybe water comes out once in awhile after it builds up a few days. Replacing the toilet was suggested (it's just 3 years old, works and flushes fine, no problem draining or flushing). This even though for a week of using the toilet only, there was no leak, so could there really be a pinhole leak? That solution also doesn't explain how water is coming out by the wall not behind the toilet. He didn't comment on the sewer gas smell or if it could tie in somehow.

Another factor that probably doesn't figure is that this is a townhome -- we share a wall, someone else's master bath is on the other side of our bathroom wall. Townhome maintenance guy doesn't think our problem is related to the neighbors, he's never seen that happen. It's a firewall, all things are separate, including sewer. Talking to the neighbor, they've had no problems in the master bath. I don't think this is it at all, but thought it should be mentioned to get the full picture.

Any ideas? The sewer gas smell worries me, as does the mystery leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks