Water coming in at bottom of sump basin

Users who are viewing this thread

ric-a-pic

Reaction score
Just found this site on the web. Great site, I can tell I'll be doing alot of reading here.

I'm about to start to finish my basement in our 3 year old house. I decided to start at the sump pump which runs ever 10 minutes for about 10 seconds raining out or not, summer or winter. Just thought this might be normal becasue we're very close to a big lake and about 600 feet from a canal.
I thought I would start with replacing the cheap pump the builder put in with a Zoeller M-57 or M-98 and install a backup system and clean all the junk out of it that's on the bottom. As I sucked it all out along with the water, I noticed water coming in quickly from the bottom from what looks like a 1/4 or 3/8's hole but not sure.

What to do? Is this a problem? Should I replace the basin(hope note)? Try to plug the hole? Leave it alone? Why is water coming in, is it below the water table?

One other thing, even without the hole in the bottom, water is always draining in from the tile feild at about the same rate as what was coming up from the hole. I guess we are just in a wet area with the big lake close by and the pump is still going to run a lot, just not every 10 minutes, maybe every 20.

Thanks for the help
Rich

ric-a-pic

Reaction score
Anyone? I could sure use some help. The plumbing store didn't know what to tell me.
Thanks

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I must assume the holes look to be drilled. I'm thinking if you plugged these holes the sump pit would lift and may cause problems. It would be best to leave these.
It sounds like you live on a high water table and need the pit as is.
If your pump is turning on to often and short cycling you may want to up size your pit. The best thing you should do is install a battery back up. Do you have a back flow on the discharge side? If not the pump could be running to often cause the water is flowing back down the discharge line.

ric-a-pic

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Patrick88.

Yes I do have a backflow valve and I will be installing a battery backup system. I'm going to look at Aquanot II but don't think I have the room in the basin.

I do beleave I live in a high water table as other people complain also of there sumps running all the time too.

I think I might put a new pump in that doesn't have a float build in and go with a seperate one that allows me adjustment and gives me a little room to fit the backup too.

The basin is 19" wide at the top and is about 30" deep. Does anyone know if a Aquanot II and a pump will fit into that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks