Water comes up other sink when disposal is on

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by vlbridges, Feb 16, 2009.

1. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

As I quoted I follow the Illinois Plumbing code in post #14

In tha tpost I posted the parts that the Illinois code addresses about a disposail installed on a sink.

I wil post again what is right from the code book of Illinois on Plumbing and I will make the text Red and bold that pertains to seprate traps and not installing the the dishwasher into the disposail.

Section 890.710 Food Waste Disposal Units

a) Installation. Food waste disposal units shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, shall be connected directly to the sanitary drainage system, and shall be properly vented. Dishwashers shall not discharge into food waste disposal units. Units may have either automatic or hand-operated water supply control. (See Section 890.1130(a), (b) and (c).)

b) Commercial-Type Grinders. Commercial-type food grinders shall be provided with a waste line at least 2 inches in diameter. (See Appendix F: Illustration D.) ​

Section 890.770 Dishwashing Machines

a) Domestic Dishwasher (Private Residence). When a domestic dishwashing machine drain line is connected to the house side of a trap from a sink, the drain from the dishwasher shall be carried up to the underside of the spill rim of the sink. Dishwashing machines shall discharge separately into a trap or tail piece of the kitchen sink and shall not connect to the food waste disposal unit.
    b) Water Supply Connection. The water supply to commercial dishwashing machines shall be connected through an air gap or by means of proper backflow protection, e.g., a non-pressure type (atmospheric) vacuum breaker or a dual check valve backflow preventer assembly (DuC), depending upon the circumstances.

c) Commercial dishwashing machines shall indirectly discharge to a proper receptor connected to the drainage system or as permitted in Section 890.1010(a).

d) Hot Water. A commercial dishwashing machine or similar dishwashing equipment that relies upon hot water for sanitizing dishes and utensils, rather than chemicals for sanitizing, shall provide rinse water at 180 degrees F., except for a single-tank, stationary-rack, single temperature dishwashing machine which shall provide a rinse water temperature of 165 degrees F., in accordance with Section 750.830(h) of the "Food Service Sanitation Code" (77 Ill. Adm. Code 750). ​
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I know Iwas just thinking out loud.Every community has it`s rules and it`s all
    to protect the health of the public.
  3. TedL

TedL New Member

cwhyu2: You must consider this wonderful opportunity to invest in a bridge I have for sale...
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

How much ?:D
  5. rlkeime

rlkeime New Member

Thanks SewerRatz,

I appreciate the help
  6. SewerRatz

You are most welcome. If you need any help or advice feel free to click on the link in my signature and call me. Just ask for Ron
  7. TedL

TedL New Member

Ron, I have to say, I look forward to your posts.

And when I redo my kichen in a year or two, I may plumb the sink/disposer as you show is required in Illinois, as long as it meets NY's current code. The wife would like getting rid of the long side-to-side tube.
  8. Marty53

Marty53 New Member

I had this same issue after my kitchen remodel. It was fine for a couple of months.. then I think because we were running a disposer through 50 year old clogged galvanized pipes, it clogged so bad I couldnt get anything to drain after snaking for a hours.

I ended up ripping out the basement ceiling and cutting out all the galvanized. This is what the pipes looked like:

Attached Files:

9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Looks like you made the right choice!
  10. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Is that a tapper? How dare you soil it's habitat with old dirty pipes?:D
  11. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

OK, group consensus, would Bio Clean take care of a build-up problem that bad or not¿
  12. SewerRatz

Yes I have seen it work before.
  13. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It doesn't matter...
    That sludge was the only thing that was keeping the leaks from showing up...:eek:
  14. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

Connecting two sinks using a ""Y", double "Y", or anything else into a single opening, is a lot different than connecting two sinks into a vertical riser using TWO openings on the same level. In fact, if the code actually meant that it applied to a "Y" connection of that kind, there would be no reason to mention the "at the same level" because there is no way they could be connected at different levels.
  15. Marty53

Marty53 New Member

Haha.. yea thats my kegerator... Getting things dirty didn't matter much after i cut into that pipe with a sawzall and got a faceful of sludge..

Really though.. like Redwood said it was the sludge that stopped those pipes from leaking. Amazingly, there were NO LEAKS in this pipe, just backed up into the sinks.
  16. SewerRatz

I have ran into many sink lines after I unclogged them they leaked like sieve.
  17. michael-thomas

michael-thomas New Member

Ron,

Does the IL plumbing code incorporate the "directional fittings" requirements in IRC 2707.1 / UPC 405.4 for FWGs and DWs?

- Thanks