Water Bubbling from ground outside pump house

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by 5berryfarm, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 5berryfarm

5berryfarm New Member

I just noticed that our pressure tank was running constantly. Then I found two small holes in the soil outside the pump house where water was bubbling up and now the ground in that area is saturated. Both holes are located on the same side of the pump house. I just shut the water off...and the bubbling stopped immediately. We still had good pressure and water to the house....until I shut it off. What could the problem be?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

You have a hole in the pipe.
  3. 5berryfarm

5berryfarm New Member

Thank you for the reply. I got impatient waiting for my husband to get home so I started digging. Luckily I found the issue (I think) fairly quick. It is a joint that is about 2 feet from the well house. I shop vac'd out the hole and then returned the water to light pressure...the joint started spurting and spraying water. There is a LARGE hole/void in the ground just underneath the joint. Does the joint need to be replaced all together or ??? There does not appear to be any cracks or breaks in the pipe. It seems as if the joint slipped....like the sleeve was too short?? Here is a photo http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac32/allequinesales/Pipe/Pipe.jpg
  4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 New Member

You need to cut out the old coupling and replace with a short piece of pipe and one of the following knock on coupling, compression coupling, 4 90's, or slip fix.