Water backup in tubs and toilets when running washing machine, please help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

littlebit

Reaction score
Hello...

My husband I and just purchased our first home. We have been using the water, using the toilets, all the sinks and showers with no problem until last night when my husband went to do laundry. I first heard a loud gurgling sound coming from the kitchen sink. That was fine as nothing happened at the kitchen sink. Then my son, who has just finished taking a shower in the master bath informed us that dirty water was backing up in the shower and separate tub and toilets. It didn't back up in the guest bathroom at first but it eventually backed up there too. As the washing machine went through it's clycles, the water would drain and back up again. When the wash was done, the water did drain out.

I have had a hell of a week with this move. I have already had to fork out $300 to have the Uhaul towed out of a ditch after my nephew lost control of it. Fortunately, we had already unloaded our furniture. Unfortunately, he hit another car and I DID not purchase the optional U-haul insurance because my genius husband said we did not need it. We are flat broke and really can't afford a plumber but will most likely get one but we do want to be sure that we are not misled or ripped off and that we have some idea waht is or might be going on.

I also want to add that after the fact, I put 2 and 2 together with the scratches on the inside of the toilets that I did not pay much attention when looking at the house and even after we moved in. Those scratches were obviously made by an auger so toilet blockage must have been a problem in both toliets. Please note that I have not run the dishwasher yet for lack of need but now I am scared too.

I wanted to edit this to say that I also noticed that the toliet water level as always seemed low. And I want to ask another question, is the water most likely backing up in the washer too?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could be a main line blockage.

This time of year, there is a lot of new growth, meaning it could be roots in the line somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks