Water Around Top of Well Casing, Pressure Fine

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by danmoliver, Apr 12, 2014.

1. danmoliver

danmoliver New Member

Hi,

This spring after all the snow melted, I noticed water around the well casing at the top of the ground. So I am pretty sure there is a leak somewhere (possibly in the pitless adaptor), but we are on an artesian well (and it has enough natural pressure that water goes right to the top even with pump not running) so water pressure is fine in the house and really the water is drawn much lower than the actual leak point of course.
    So the question is, it would be nice to fix it of course but do I NEED to fix this? Will it be ok through next winter too?

Just found out we need a new furnace last week so looking at $5000 for that and I don't want to spend an extra $1000 plus to dig up the well, pump rental, etc... to fix this.

Thanks,
    Dan
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It may not take much to fix the leak now, but the longer you wait the more damage it can cause.
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Based on what you wrote, I'm guessing you cannot see where the water is leaking out. If you are sure that it is not overflowing the top, then it could be leaking at the pitless. There are in fact two seals at the pitless. One seal is on the connection between the casing and the pitless and if that one is leaking, there is a strong possibility that surface water is also getting into the well and could contaminate it, if the water level in the casing ever drops below ground level.

If you can pump the level down below the pitless, then drop a camera down the hole and see if groundwater is leaking into the casing. If it is, dig it up and fix it. Hopefully it was backfilled with something easy to dig in. My pitless is 8 feet down and this area is pure clay but I made sure the contractor filled the trench with sand JIC I had to dig it up in the future.
  5. danmoliver

danmoliver New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I would go ahead and get it excavated but when talking to a plumber, he actually said that because it's an artesian well, if it wasn't cemented properly then it's possible that there is water coming up right along the outside of the pipe - right to the top.
    I do notice that if I run the water in the house, then the water right on the outside of the well casing will very slowly go down, so not sure about this.
    There was a lot more melting this year where we are and the plumber talked himself out of a job by saying what he told me, so I can trust him and really I did anyway.

Thoughts? Anyone ever heard of this happening?
  6. craigpump

craigpump Member

If the casing isn't properly sealed as you plumber suggested, your well could become contaminated. You need to have this checked out by someone who has a down hole camera so they can inspect the drive shoe and joints in the casing.
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Normally, during the drilling process, a slurry of bentonite is used which should seal between the borehole and casing.

If that is in fact happening, it strongly suggests that there is leakage and it would likely be bi-directional meaning it could contaminate the well.

You don't say how old this well is and if you commissioned the drilling. I would try to get the driller back for his opinion and maybe advise the regulatory board of the situation if necessary.