"Waste" pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Thecentipede

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I'm a guy who likes to figure things out and I'm finding myself a tad stumped.

I just moved into a new apartment in NYC and I'm doing my own renovations. One problem I have to solve is a clogged shower/bathtub drain and I have difficulty entering the space below me which would allow me to disassemble the drain to work on it.

I know there are other methods to remove the ~80 years' worth of hair and detritus clogging the drain, but I have noticed there is a pipe running vertically from the floor between my bathtub and adjacent sink that is marked 'waste.'

I've never seen this pipe in another apartment. It pulls out two feet before it stops itself and in thought it may be some sort of pump to remove said gunk. I haven't been able to work it up to this point, but I am posting a picture with the aim of attaining any insight as to the function of this pipe.

If it doesn't actually help me unclog the drain, that is fine. I will appreciate the edification.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 243

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never seen a tub like that before. It has no overflow.
Normally you can run a snake through the upper overflow. Do you have a picture of the "waste" pipe? That looks odd too.

Thecentipede

Reaction score
I have never seen a tub like that before. It has no overflow.
Normally you can run a snake through the upper overflow. Do you have a picture of the "waste" pipe? That looks odd too.

Yeah, the lack of an overflow outlet is bothersome, but this waste pipe is just baffling.

Here are some more photos with the pipe pulled out all the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 213

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That looks like an "indirect" overflow and drain stopper, although they went out of fashion in the 30s. If so, the trap is below it and that is where you insert the drain snake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks