Waste Pipe Replacement - Need Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Lindie

Reaction score
Hello -

I will be putting in an offer on a house in 2 days. The seller has sent all prospective buyers an inspection report. Pictures are attached. The inspector called out two plumbing issues:

1) "There are abandoned pipes under the building. During a general inspection it is not fully possible to tell which ones are still in use, and which ones have been taken out of the system. This makes it difficult to tell with precision how much of the piping has been changed out to the newer copper piping" - I assume that this is fairly easy and that a licensed plumber should be able to identify and remove the abandoned pipes?

2) "There are rusty areas on the exterior of the waste lines. It is not possible to tell when but they will need replacing in the future as they continue to wear out such as at the kitchen sink drain" - this is the one that I am concerned about. There's a crawl space underneath the house. How difficult is this fix and can someone kindly advise what the ballpark would be assuming that there are no issues with the mainline going out to the street?

I plan on getting a plumber to come out to inspect the pipes and run a camera through for inspection but for the purposes of the offer, I'd like to understand what my upfront cost might be as it would impact what I offer. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 11.25.28 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-01-08 at 11.25.35 PM.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANYONE should be able to look at the galvanized pipes and tell if they are connected to ANYTHING at their ends. More than likely the inspector did not want to get his clothes dirty, and had other things he could put in his report to fill up his pages. Rust spots on the exterior of cast iron drain lines is not always and indication of imminent failure because it is metal and metal rusts on the outside, also, when it gets damp. But, if they are failing, a crawl space with hanging drain lines is fairly simple to replace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks