Waste Pipe Above Ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Klein

Reaction score
Wondering if it is allowed to route a 3" waste pipe from one structure, through a breezeway roof structure, into the house and down a wall to the 4" main drain. I have attached a .pdf that shows the routing contemplated. Breezeway "attic" (for lack of a better word) would be fully enclosed but accessible. I would probably include heat trace for the cold months.

If this is not allowed, what is the minimum cover needed for a in ground 3" waste pipe" Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Waste Pipe.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 540

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Minimum cover is 1" unless even that is not possible. Heat t ape is not required unless you plan to have a leaking faucet and not fix it until Spring.

Kevin Klein

Reaction score
Minimum cover is 1" unless even that is not possible. Heat t ape is not required unless you plan to have a leaking faucet and not fix it until Spring.

Confused by your answer.
Is the routing through the breezeway structure ok as shown?
I assume the 1" cover you cite is for running the waste line on/underground? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have always thought that Idaho wanted five feet of cover for their pipes. It's pretty darn cold there.
I haven't connected two structures above ground before. That might be one for an inspector.

Kevin Klein

Reaction score
Wow. Answers all over the board. I'm surprised the UPC doesn't have any section that addresses the underground situation. At least that I can find. Both answers seem extreme to me. 1" would present a freeze and/or risk of damage. 5' would present its own set of challenges; surely a drain pipe coming out of a crawl space 2' deep (required in Boise) doesn't need to be 5' below finish grade?

The run between structures is probably pretty unique. My thought process was that it should pass muster. It is not unlike running a drain pipe in a joist space; the only difference being that the 6' connecting breezeway "roof/attic" is unconditioned.

Thanks for the inputs all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks