Waste arm removal from black cast iron vent pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

barry bourgault

Reaction score
As is the usual case access is very limited. I have a lateral waste arm coming off a black cast iron vent, house is 50+ yrs young. The waste arm is leaking at the connection. My question is best way to remove this arm, it is threaded into the vert. stack. Access is very limited and if it is broken at the hub it would a major, major job to repair. The waste arm in question is copper, my thought is to heat the joint with MAPP gas torch and contraction would make removal easier. Also thought about spraying joint with PB Blaster or another product. am having to reach through 12" cabinet to reach this.

barry bourgault

Reaction score
this is a pic of waste arm

Attachments

• pipe4.jpg
    pipe4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 312

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be able to unthread that. If you are limited by the cabinet, and the wall behind, you may need to remove something.
If you use a torch, be sure you have a handy way to put out any fire.
It looks to be a standard cast iron santee with a threaded tapping.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would seriously think about getting the cabinet out of the way. If you are planning to use a torch, use caution, or you will be calling the fire dept.

barry bourgault

Reaction score
I used a torch and then sprayed PB Blaster on it, 3 times but it was still not moving, I just got my 20" pipe wrench back from a friend that had borrowed it, will see if I can get the head of it back there between the block and the pipes, the smaller one fit. When I heated the nub before I saw a few tiny solder beads between the nut and the waste copper

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I used a torch and then sprayed PB Blaster on it, 3 times but it was still not moving, I just got my 20" pipe wrench back from a friend that had borrowed it, will see if I can get the head of it back there between the block and the pipes, the smaller one fit. When I heated the nub before I saw a few tiny solder beads between the nut and the waste copper

The wrench goes on the eight sided part of the nut, not the copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks