Washing machine venting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rich B, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

I have two washing machine drains to plumb and vent. I am upgrading them to the proper size 2" using wyes into a short 4" horizontal C.I. section. I can go straight up with a vent. The two washer drains are seperated by a block wall in the basement, as this is a 2 family house. Can I use 1-1/2 for the vents, go straight up and join the two together in the common wall above? From there it would join with a common vent for one of the bathrooms upstairs. A tub and a sink....then up thru the roof and increased to 2"....The existing washer drains had no vents and are 1-1/2" and are poorly done in galvanized pipe.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I believe what you have planned will work fine, but a real plumber will have more insight as to codes.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vents

One thing about the common wall between units, is that it may be considered a fire wall and, if so, any penetrations should be made and sealed with fire resistant materials.
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Under my codes, once you connect the two vents together you'll need to be at 2" for the vents.

What is your location or what codes are you under?
    A sketch or picture would likely help further.
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Which code is that?
  6. FloridaOrange

Florida Plumbing Code 2007, based on IPC.
    Common, wet and/or waste stack 1-1/2" Vent is only good for 1 dfu.

Also under FPC the min vent for 1 clothes washer is 2".
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Me thinks you have mis-interpreted the IPC. You can wet vent an entire bath group off an 1 1/2 pipe.
  8. FloridaOrange

I may have. I only have the FPC, the foreward in the FPC indicates its basis on IPC.
    FPC2007 Table 909.3
    Wet Vent/DFU=
    1-1/2"/1 dfu
    2"/4 dfu
    2-1/2"/6 dfu
    3"/12 dfu
  9. techinstructor

techinstructor New Member

North Carolina code is similar to FL.
    Table: 908.3
    1/1/2"/1 dfu
    2"/4 dfu