Washing machine supply lines in attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

mailman62

Reaction score
thinking of moving washing machine to garage. House on slab. Would install some heat for garage for winter months here in New England. But if I were to run water supply lines and drain pipes through attic. Good or bad idea?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pipes in attics commonly freeze. Even in warm Seattle Winters. Attics are ventilated and cold winds blow through them.
The pipes would be better off on the garage side of the ceiling where you can at least trap some warmth from the slab. The ground is always warmer than the air in Winter.

mailman62

Reaction score
Pipes in attics commonly freeze. Even in warm Seattle Winters. Attics are ventilated and cold winds blow through them.
The pipes would be better off on the garage side of the ceiling where you can at least trap some warmth from the slab. The ground is always warmer than the air in Winter.
I was afraid of that, really wanted to get washer out of kitchen. Will have to rethink it I suppose. Thks

mailman62

Reaction score
If I do find a way to route water lines to garage and insulate from freezing should I worry about drain pipe being run in attic in regards to the winter? Thks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, insulation does nothing to make heat...it slows the loss of it. When the water is not running, if where the pipes run is cold, depending on how cold it is, whatever heat is in the pipes can dissipate and the water will freeze.

Generally, a drain line won't have a problem EXCEPT the trap. If the drain line is installed properly, it should have slope, so there is no standing water that can freeze except in the trap, which is required to stop sewer gasses from being able to exit the opening.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
PEX is not something we use in my city, but I think you can use it and don't have the freezing problem.

Or, frame an insulated tunnel for the pipes, using 2x4s and plywood.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Pex is typically not damaged if the water it contains freezes, but it will still damage fittings, and once frozen, makes using the WM impossible until it melts. If the pex runs through any holes, the expansion can cause some damage because of the pressure it generates.

Basic concept...there is no such physical thing as cold...it is the absence of heat - temperature is a measure of the amount of heat, not of 'cold'; we just happen to call the lack of it 'cold', but cold isn't a thing. Insulation only slows the transfer of heat, it cannot generate it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
If you want to run your water lines through the attic you can use Wirsbo pex and run a heat cable on
them and then insulate them with aramaflex insulation.... then coverit all with pink insulation for good measure

Heat cables have been used in mobile homes to keep water lines from freezeing for decades under the units in bitter cold temps... it is nothing new

We have re-piped total homes through the attic before using Wirsbo pex because it will not break if it freezes
and the heat cable and insualtion have worked well... The drain being pumped across the attic has to have
good fall in the correct direction.. the heat from the sewer will keep safe.. but I would still insualte it with
pink insualtion

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Assuming your garage is unheated as well as the attic, it can still get way below freezing, especially if you happen to leave the door open for awhile. Will the lines freeze in the attic? Can't say, but extra insulation probably won't help a lot. All it takes is a little bit of a cold air draft, especially with fiberglass insulation which acts more like an air filter than insulation except in still air. Heat tape can work, but you need to be careful about what you use as some cannot be installed underneath insulation. Plus, it's a constant energy user when it's cold out, and if your power goes out, won't do a thing. Appliances that use water in unconditioned space is risky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks