Washing machine stinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

thunderhead

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in wrong place, I really didn't see a category it fit into. When i use my washing machine it smells like rotten eggs. This is when I am filling the washer, not draining. The water at the faucets, tub etc does not smell. I have dumped water in the stand pipe before I start but it makes no difference. There is a P trap in the drain. I have ran the washer with just water and bleach. I have searched the internet but most of them seem to get the smell when they start draining. The only one I found that was doing the same as mine did not have a solution but several others posted that they had the same problem. Any help appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a well?

It is possible that you are not so familiar with rotten eggs, and you are getting a musty smell. But you may indeed be getting the hydrogen sulfide smell of rotten eggs. If so, I suspect that the washer tub is serving to concentrate the smell in your water like a giant brandy snifter. The hot water is likely to smell more. Test that by filling with cold and see if the smell is largely reduced.

There are several ways to combat the smell. The most effective is a backwashing iron+sulfur filter of some sort. Much of the smell from the water heater is caused by a reaction of the sulfur containing compounds with the water heater anode. There are aluminium anodes that reduce this effect, but a powered anode eliminates that effect. Some will totally remove the anode and replace it with a plug. That will reduce the time before the water heater stops leaking. The purpose of the anode is to protect the glass-covered steel where there are little cracks in the glass.

I have a powered anode. I got it ordered just before I decided to put in the iron+sulfur backwashing filter. I think it will protect the water heater better. I have also flushed my water heater, and got a lot of rocks and ultra-fine blackish stuff. The sulfur compound reaction with the anode produces that.

So where to go now ? Depends. If you have iron too, that backwashing filter is great. Otherwise consider a powered anode. It seems expensive. And removing an old anode is not a trivial act. It is hard enough when the WH is new. They overtorque them at the factory. A big 1-1/8 impact socket on a not-small impact wrench is the tool of choice. Cheaper is to consider washing in cold water if that helps. Regardless, if your WH is over 5 years old, I would consider flushing it even if there are no smells. There are techniques.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Is this a high-efficiency front-loading machine? If so, do you keep the door open between loads? You might want to run some cleaner intended for HE front loaders through the washer and see if that helps dislodge the mold that builds up on the door seal if you close the door before the inside of the washer has fully dried.

thunderhead

Reaction score
Reach4, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. First, no well, city water. I do have water heater problems. About 5 years ago I installed a new electric water heater. The water smelled like rotten eggs. I asked on some forums (not sure if I asked hear) and was told to change the anode to aluminum. I did that but it did not help. Then they said I needed to install a chlorination system. Or, to put some peroxide in the water heater periodically. I sometimes go for 2/3 months. Other times I have to do it every month or so. Possibly I have not ran the washer after adding the peroxide. i will have to pay closer attention. The power anode sounds interesting. I am going to look into that. Thank You..

jadziedzic, Defiantly not a high efficiency front loader. I bought this new in 1979! I have been wanting a new one but this one won't die. LOL

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A washing machine should stink, unless you are washing clean cloths. :eek:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Is it the same using cold water only?

The only other thing I can think of is that a lot of junk accumulates between the inner tub (what you see) and the outer tub (that actually holds the water). Soap residue and other junk gets built up there and you don't see it unless to take the machine apart. Maybe that is causing the smell...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks