Washing Machine standpipe height?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by katespade, Sep 4, 2013.

1. katespade

katespade New Member

GE high efficiency washing machine drum broke. Replacing with LG high efficiency 5.1 cu. ft. model. The current setup is such that the p-trap is 2 feet above ground and the standpipe is 1.5 inches pipe that is 21 inches in length. Would that work for the LG 5.1 cu. ft model ? I had absolutely no problems with the previous washing machine as far as draining was concerned.
    Tks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

No way to tell you. It depends on how fast the washer pumps the water out. If the 1 1/2" riser is adequate it will drain, if not it will overflow.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Like mentioned above, is the pipe is clear and fast running, it may work.
    In the last fifty years or so, they moved to a 2" trap and line. However, there are still plenty out there done with 1.5" that are still in use.

I sometimes make the standpipe 2" if its open and I can make the change easily.
  4. asktom

asktom Member

If it is open, I have made the standpipe 3" or 4" (strap it to the wall).
  5. dj2

dj2 Member

Ideally, the standup pipe should be about 42"-48" tall.
  6. asktom

asktom Member

The UPC states the standpipe must be between 18" & 30" tall. Most plumbers go for 30".
  7. dj2

dj2 Member

A standard washer is about 36" tall. The panel is another 6" or so. Together we have, where is my calculator oh here it is, about 42". So around here, the stand pipes are 42" to 48" tall.

Newer washers are on pedestals and are even taller than 42".
  8. asktom

asktom Member

The standpipe is 18" t0 30" tall (usually 30"). The trap is roughed in at 6" to 18" above the floor (commonly 12"). (UPC 804.1). 30" + 12" = 42". The trap can be roughed in at up to 18", which gives 48" total height.
  9. dj2

dj2 Member

...Now it's clear...