Washing Machine standpipe height?

Users who are viewing this thread

katespade

Reaction score
GE high efficiency washing machine drum broke. Replacing with LG high efficiency 5.1 cu. ft. model. The current setup is such that the p-trap is 2 feet above ground and the standpipe is 1.5 inches pipe that is 21 inches in length. Would that work for the LG 5.1 cu. ft model ? I had absolutely no problems with the previous washing machine as far as draining was concerned.
Tks.

That puts the top of the standpipe at 45" from the floor
edit by Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No way to tell you. It depends on how fast the washer pumps the water out. If the 1 1/2" riser is adequate it will drain, if not it will overflow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like mentioned above, is the pipe is clear and fast running, it may work.
In the last fifty years or so, they moved to a 2" trap and line. However, there are still plenty out there done with 1.5" that are still in use.

I sometimes make the standpipe 2" if its open and I can make the change easily.

Asktom

Reaction score
The UPC states the standpipe must be between 18" & 30" tall. Most plumbers go for 30".

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A standard washer is about 36" tall. The panel is another 6" or so. Together we have, where is my calculator oh here it is, about 42". So around here, the stand pipes are 42" to 48" tall.

Newer washers are on pedestals and are even taller than 42".

Asktom

Reaction score
The standpipe is 18" t0 30" tall (usually 30"). The trap is roughed in at 6" to 18" above the floor (commonly 12"). (UPC 804.1). 30" + 12" = 42". The trap can be roughed in at up to 18", which gives 48" total height.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The standpipe is 18" t0 30" tall (usually 30"). The trap is roughed in at 6" to 18" above the floor (commonly 12"). (UPC 804.1). 30" + 12" = 42". The trap can be roughed in at up to 18", which gives 48" total height.

...Now it's clear...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks