Washing machine/sink drain and vent

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by garrettgjp, Jan 21, 2013.

1. garrettgjp

garrettgjp New Member

I am a new home owner and this will be my first ever DIY plumbing project.

My washing machine drains into the laundry sink and I am wanting to have it drain into a seperate pipe and figure out how to vent it properly as well. I have included pictures of the current setup, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated since I am not sure how to go about this correctly.

Winter 2012 018.jpg Winter 2012 019.jpg Winter 2012 020.jpg Winter 2012 021.jpg Winter 2012 022.jpg
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The photo shows an S-trap which is illegal, because it self-siphons. Also, it appears to drain into a drain stack, and therefor there is no vent.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

First you will have to cut out a section of the cast iron and install wyes for the new drains. Then you will have to run a new vent from the basement up through the roof. Unless you are well equipped and quite skilled, this will not be a very good project for you to learn about plumbing.
  4. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Above fitting #5, there can be no other fixtures draining into that stack to have that vent setup be proper?

Attached Files:

5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

That is Correct!!
  6. garrettgjp

garrettgjp New Member

Thanks, this is clearly over my head. I'll hire someone to take this on and watch and learn. Thank you again to everyone who responded!