Washing machine & laundry sink venting

Users who are viewing this thread

hoffmand

Reaction score
We've just added a sink to our laundry room. The finished setup is the same as Terry's diagram below, but without the extra vent for the washer. The plumber insisted this was not required for code (Texas) since the 2" drain/vent was big enough such that the drain from the sink would not affect the ability of the washer to vent if they were both draining at the same time.

I know code is different depending on the city so I'm more concerned with the functionality of the drain/vent. Will i have any issues without the extra vent "jumper" for the washing machine?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 6,793

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be fine.
We used to plumb without the extra vent here in Washington, in fact this was done first without the extra vent, but codes change, and now the inspectors here want it vented like in the picture.
If your plumber knows the inspector and what he likes, then you're golden.

I like to use diagrams and pictures that work in all 50 states when I can.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Last edited:

Steve_P

Reaction score
Hey Terry I have some questions on that picture:

who makes that sexy washing machine outlet box? I like the built in hammer arrestors and valves. Do you have a part number handy for it?

also, just curious, are those copper lines running to the washer valves? I ask because of how they're bent. And why did you insulate both the hot and cold?

Too many questions :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's PEX on the swooping part, and I covered it to prevent sunlight from hitting it during construction.
I think Oatey made that box.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The Sioux Chief Ox Box is really slick, I wouldn't buy any box that didn't have hammer arrestors and lots of options for mounting.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Hammer arrestors are just stupid, unless they have captive air chamber, or you have air entrained water... Those little stubs are just full of water, and mean NOTHING, if you understand hydraulics. LOOKS great though, I admit!

Maybe there is a diaphragm inside that pipe, then its a good addition to the house. Otherwise, its just a bit of pretty copper without a use.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Hammer arrestors are just stupid, unless they have captive air chamber, or you have air entrained water... Those little stubs are just full of water, and mean NOTHING, if you understand hydraulics. LOOKS great though, I admit!

They're not just a chunk of pipe with a cap in the end...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ballvalve, those are hammer arrestors with pistons in them to prevent water logging. They are now part of the plumbing code.

Not a plumber I'm guessing.

mini_resters.jpg

Last edited:

Steve_P

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Hey Terry, where are hammer arrestors now required to be used per code? Ok, wait, when I say where, I mean locations in a home's plumbing, not geographic location of the home. I realize this will vary by geographic location, but on locations within the home, I would assume washing machine as a safe bet, and maybe dishwasher? I have seen posts on this site using them with an icemaker also. is that necessary? We get major water hammer from the clothes washer (no arrestors), and a light hammer from the toilet, but not from the icemaker. We don't use the dishwasher, we're old-school on that and use the sink!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks