Washing machine and utility sink tie in question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dannyd38, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dannyd38

dannyd38 New Member

I am going to frame a wall in the laundry room so all the plumbing is out of sight. I want to tie in a washing machine drain and a utility sink drain into the main stack. The stack is currently a 3" copper line that I will be changing over to PVC. Should I use a sanitary t or a wye when connecting to the vertical main stack? Can I use the main as a vent or should I use an air admittance valve? The washing machine will be to the left of the stack and the utility sink to the right. Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. export!

export! DIY Member

Wow #1 you need a P-Trap. I can't imagine it smells to great where that washer discharge enters. Then you can tackle venting for the two fixtures there.
  3. dannyd38

dannyd38 New Member

I understand everything concerning installing traps; I want to be sure to use the right fittings for the tie in. It smells fine, there is a rubber seal on top of the iron pipe preventing the sewer gas’s from escaping.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

The washer requires a trap and vent as does the sink...the 3" copper line is not a vent it is a waste line....
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That gray rubber piece is probably a splash guard, and is far from a seal. Regardless of whether you have odor or not, a trap is absoultely required by ALL codes. The washing machine standpipe is higher thatn allowed by code. An air admittance valve is not proper for a pumped waste source like a washer.
  6. dannyd38

dannyd38 New Member

I call it a waste stack/vent line because it was used to vent the sink that was there since 1968 without any issues. I know every fixture needs a trap and needs to be vented. In the original post I asked what fitting is recommend tying into the 3” stack a wye or a sanitary T? I also asked if I could use an air admittance valve to vent the washer and sink. Can someone please just answer the questions and not point out the obvious things in the picture? I know to use the fernco fittings when transitioning from copper to PVC I am just not sure if I should use a 3x3x2 wye or sanitary T?
  7. dannyd38

dannyd38 New Member

Thanks JIMBO!!

So my only vent option is to go to the roof and tie into the main vent, now for the proper fittings to use and I should be set!
  8. Nate R

Nate R New Member

SanTees should be used to connect horizontal into vertical, Wye Combos are for vertical waste into horizontal.

Have you seen Terry's pic of proper rough plumbing of a washing machine standpipe? (Pic is work 1K words!)
    Good to see you asking questions like that BEFORE tackling the work! :)
  9. dannyd38

dannyd38 New Member

Thanks Nate!

I will be using SanTees and I found Terry's pic, I will mirror Terry's pic and somehow vent it to the roof.
    Thanks for all the help!