washerpan or drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Pabs, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Pabs

Pabs New Member

in my bathroom reno, I'm putting in my washer dryer (stacked) over tiled floor.

for added safety do you guys recommend adding a drain on the floor or a washer pan?

and, how is this tied in to the existing plumbing? can you hook that up the same as a sink or do you just run a line to your storm drain in the basement?

Pabs
  2. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

Put a pan with a drain if you're going to do anything. When the hose breaks we hope most of the water goes into the pan. Out here we run the drain anywhere out of harm's way (outside, basement sump pump,, etc.). No need to plumb a trap and vent. Maybe put a screen on the outlet to keep insects or rodents out.

DC
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

If the washer is installed on finished floor it must by code have a pan that is either drained or has an alarm.
  4. Pabs

Pabs New Member

cool, will do... that and I'll change the hoses every now and again... get them before they fail!

thanks
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Install a single handle shutoff with hammer arrestors so you'll be more likely to actually shut the water off when you are not actually running the WM.