Washer water supply valves won't turn

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Good morning gents,

I'm about to replace my washer and dryer. I went to turn off my washer machine hot & cold water supply valves and they would not turn at all. What is the best way to approach this?

1.Turn off the main water supply to the house and replace washer machine hoses?
2.Replace the valves? If so, what nut do I unscrew?
3.??

Thanks in advance!

Jerome8283

Reaction score
This post is worthless without pictures ! !

Good point. Here you go...

ATT00007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

My repair would be to replace the tops of the valves, but you probably do not have access to the specialized part needed. Your picture is from a bad angle, but your valves MAY screw into a fitting coming into the box. If so, the valves can be unscrewed and replaced with new valves shaped EXACTLY like the ones you have, if you can find them. They will be called "boiler drains" not "sill cocks" or "hose faucets".

Jerome8283

Reaction score
My repair would be to replace the tops of the valves, but you probably do not have access to the specialized part needed. Your picture is from a bad angle, but your valves MAY screw into a fitting coming into the box. If so, the valves can be unscrewed and replaced with new valves shaped EXACTLY like the ones you have, if you can find them. They will be called "boiler drains" not "sill cocks" or "hose faucets".

Your correct. They do screw into a fitting at the bottom.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem and decided to open up the wall below the valves, cut the riser below the valves, and put in new 1/4 turn ball valves.

If you are like most people, you never turn off the current valves (even assuming they were working properly). Washing machine hose bursts are one of the leading causes of home flooding so we really should turn off the valves when not actually using the washer. Since I've changed over to user-friendly valves, we actually do shut off the water supply between wash days.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
You can get a new identical "Oatey" box at the hardware store, OSH, Home Depot, etc. for about $20.00. Then simply take the new valves out of the new box and screw them into the old box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Just buy two boiler drains. They have the handles on top with 90 degree outlets and screw them into the fittings. Unless you are different from 99+% of the people, you hardly ever turn them off, so you do not need 1/4 turn valves.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Just buy two boiler drains. They have the handles on top with 90 degree outlets and screw them into the fittings. Unless you are different from 99+% of the people, you hardly ever turn them off, so you do not need 1/4 turn valves.

I found the two boiler drains. See the pic below. I tried to unscrew the current fittings but cannot get them off.

Attachments

• Boiler Drain.bmp
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,886

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to HJ, I still say open up the wall and put in some user-friendly valves. Boiler valves are just too cumbersome to use in a small box and thus no one turns them off like they should.

Having easy-to-operate valves, that should be leak-free for many years, was worth the extra small investment in time, and drywall compound, to me. Took all of an hour to cut the drywall, cut out the old valves, solder in the new valves on short risers, and patch the drywall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As mentioned, a split or failed hose can make a real mess of things. They make washing machine shutoff valves - single handle, that makes shutting them off quick and easy. I'd go that route.

Reaction score
As mentioned, a split or failed hose can make a real mess of things. They make washing machine shutoff valves - single handle, that makes shutting them off quick and easy. I'd go that route.

Yes, that is what I have. I admit that I only shut them off for maintenance though.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
1/4 turn valves shine in rental units because of the constant Tennant turnover every few years...

1/4 turn on the left.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

People do not shut them off because they do not want to have to turn them back on every time they use the washing machine. And 1/4 turns do not change that. Once a hose breaks, the time difference between a wheel handle and a 1/4 turn, which might be too tight to turn by hand, is almost immaterial. The flood has already occurred.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Well, I turn mine on and off with each use! So, at least some people do it. If you turn it on, and the hose was going to split, at least you are there to see it. If you leave them on all the time, it could happen while you are away on vacation (or at work, or school), and sit and dump water unimpeded for hours or maybe days. So, if the hose was going to break at that point of turn on, it is just as likely to do it when the washing machine turns the water on and off multiple times during a wash. In fact, it is probably more likley to split while the washer is running, since it turns the water on and off quicker and induces more of a stress on the hoses than just turning the lever to shut it off or on manually.

Personally, I like to be there when I turn it on, and it is very obvious if you forget...you turn the WM on, it humms, and no water flows...DUH, flip the lever and turn the water on. You have to remember to turn it off when done, but that becomes habit after a short while. Forget, and you're no worse off than you are now.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I understand the benefit of switching to new valves and will do so in the near future. I'm convinced this is the best way to go, thanks to everyones support.

I need to temporarily plug the valves while doing some other work in this area. What is the best way to accomplish this? Can I plug the hose from the hot to the cold?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Creating a cross-over could make all of your water warm, so yes, while you could do that, it isn't the greatest. You can buy some inexpensive caps that will screw onto the valves (like the hose) and then you can turn the water back on.

My guess is that you just need a little more torque to free up those valves. The washers may be shot, but once you break them free, they'll probably shut things off.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Creating a cross-over could make all of your water warm, so yes, while you could do that, it isn't the greatest. You can buy some inexpensive caps that will screw onto the valves (like the hose) and then you can turn the water back on.

My guess is that you just need a little more torque to free up those valves. The washers may be shot, but once you break them free, they'll probably shut things off.

I found the caps last night and was able to plug things up.

Your probably right on the torque .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks