Washer water hookup mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

vincemo22

Reaction score
so i took it upon myself to reroute washer hookups and I thought I was in the clear but now I am starting to smell sewer gas. I Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Is it that the p trap should be lower? Should I not have tapped into larger drain line? I can't stand the smell and need to fix fast!

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 283

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you cut that into a waste line for a toilet above, then everytime you flush the toilet upstairs, it's going to siphon the p-trap on the washer.
Besides that, the washer standpipe should be 18" or longer. That is also wrong.
A vent goes between the p-trap and the waste lines it connects to.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Is there water in that trap to block the sewer gas? It needs water in it to work.

If you are saying that you completed the installation and hooked up the washer and now you are smelling gas, it's because your "design" of that modification is causing the p-trap to be siphoned and thus not have water in it.

There is a reason that plumbing codes exist, and that installation isn't even close to code. Read page 10 of this:
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

I'm guessing that what you tapped into isn't a vent stack but rather is the drain from above. So...where's the (dry) vent for your washer standpipe? The vent is there primarily to prevent trap siphoning, and you don't have one. And you need at least 18" above the trap for the standpipe.

Just because you can buy the plastic fittings at Home Depot and can fit them together doesn't mean that you should be trying to design the system yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

vincemo22

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I shouldn't have give it a go. Didn't know about the vent. I guess I'll cut my losses and just have a plumber come out. All is not lost though, you guys provided useful insight for future debacles:)
Greatly appreciate all the feedback!

vincemo22

Reaction score
Quick follow up... If I would have run the drain for the washer straight down and T connect to the waste line at the bottom of the pipe before the foundation, and include the dry vent, would that have worked?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quick follow up... If I would have run the drain for the washer straight down and T connect to the waste line at the bottom of the pipe before the foundation, and include the dry vent, would that have worked?

Not if the rising pipe is the drain for a fixture in the second floor.

Is there a 2nd floor?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut the drywall to the right, we want to see the old drain/vent that you had before for the washer.

After seeing that, we could tell you what to do.

vincemo22

Reaction score
I posted two images on original post. The one you see with two washer hookups, the one on the right was the original. Does that show you enough?
Thanks for all the feedback!

vincemo22

Reaction score
Oh I see. Well theres a problem with that. I put in built in cabinets around the washer and dryer already. I would have to go in from back side room. I called a local plumber and provided these images and he said they can fix it as it is shown. Why would they not need to see that side? how do you think they intend on fixing it? Their reviews on google are very high and many so I would assume they are trust worthy.

Reach4

Reaction score
They might be planning to put in an AAV without checking to see if a real vent is available where the older install is. Real vents are better.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Invite the plumber to your home and ask him for a written DETAILED estimate.

Physical inspection is a must in situations like this.

I still would like to see what's behind the drywall to the right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks