Washer supply valve VS boiler relief valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by eddie-o, Aug 18, 2013.

1. eddie-o

eddie-o New Member

Washer supply valve VS boiler drain valve

Is there any problem in using a boiler drain valve as a supply valve for a clothes washer?
    It seems to be the only 1/4 turn valve readily available in my area that has the configuration I need; male, 1/2", near 90 degrees with the handle accessible (top) after installation.
    The visible difference is in the amount of threads available to the hose connection - three as opposed to five or so for the normal hose bib connection.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. DaPlumma

DaPlumma New Member

When you say boiler relief valve what comes to mind is a temperature / pressure relief valve. What exactly are you trying to do. Connect your washer hoses.
  3. eddie-o

eddie-o New Member

DaPlumma -
    Please see the revised post. I should have said boiler drain valve.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I purchase a washing machine box valve and then remove the valve from the shank and screw it in to the shank inside the existing box. Usually boiler drains are too large to screw/turn inside and/orl give room to operate the handle.
  5. eddie-o

eddie-o New Member

Thanks HJ. Though I installed prior to your post and went with the boiler drain valve... sure enough it was a bugger of a tight squeeze getting the valve in there - but made it with minor modification to the existing box (had to break one side out). :mad:
    I appreciate the sharing of your experience and taking time to post a reply!