Washer Supply Fittings Loose

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by index1489, Apr 17, 2013.

1. index1489

index1489 New Member

Just had a new washer/dryer installed, during the installation I noticed when the installer tightened the new hoses on the water supply outlets, both outlets rotated slightly 20-30 degrees. I assumed these were sweat fittings and shouldn't be able to rotate like that.

Grabbing the hose I can get both outlets to rotate in each direction 20-30 degrees, is this normal?

The supply box is from IPScorp "Water-Tite" looks like this one.
    http://www.ipscorp.com/plumbing/watertite/supplyvalve/washingmachine/duall

Place was built 2005-2006.
    Had the previous washer installed for over a year with no issues, this one for a couple of days again no issues noticed yet.

Photos attached

Attached Files:

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Looks like the connectors are made to swivel.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Looks like the connectors are made to swivel.

NEVER!! If it was installed with plastic water pipes, or a "Sharkbite" connection, it will "wiggle" if the lock nut underneath loosened up.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

My bad! Thanks HJ, you got me again!
  5. index1489

index1489 New Member

So it this something I should worry about or leave alone? Couple other people have told me if its a PEX connection it could move a little and be fine.

"That a/w books looks correct to me , sometimes they move and sometimes they don't. As long as it not leaking, you'll be fine. I used to put hundreds of those in when I work new construction. Water-tite brand moves and others do or don't as well"

"If I'm not mistaken, built in 06 would be pex. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about them rotating, just keep your eye on them. I know shark bites you can move and they're still"

"You could also have CPVC pipe. CPVC and Pex could rotate a bit but be careful you can damage the piping in the wall causing a water leak. Just a bit of advice, I would change the cold water hose to a stainless breaded also."

Seems odd I know I have copper in the bathrooms when I replaced a couple of cartridges, is it common to mix PEX and copper in the same house?
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You probably have a PEX system with copper connections to the faucets.