Washer stuck to copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bertie, Aug 21, 2009.

1. bertie

bertie New Member

Hi

We are trying to fit a plastic speed fit elbow 15mm onto our water pipe in our bathroom in order to connect a new shower unit to it. However we cannot remove the old copper washer used with the existing fitting :? - (I think it's called an adaptor?)

We cannot use the existing fitting as we have had the walls plastered & re-iled (they needed it!) & this has resulted in less space between the shower unit & wall. The speed fit connector gives us the extra centimeter we need to get the shower back on for a perfect fit!

We have tried everything to get the washer off but to no avail, any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

washer

Depending on what you call a "washer", it could be a ferrule in which case you need a "ferrule puller" to extract it.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A picture would help. Your use of the term "washer" may be inaccurate.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Assuming you are talking about a ferrule used in a compression fitting, the ferrule puller should work. It's sort of like a gear puller, they come in various sizes.

Attached Files:

5. bertie

bertie New Member

Further info

Hi

After some more internet research I've found out that it's a compression ring & nut, & the nut is stuck, it seems like a common problem, but I couldn't find any info before as I didn't know the correct terms!!

So I think a puller would be the answer, hopefully, thanks for posting back
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Tools like this puller are fairly easy to find in rental stores in the US. I infer that you are not in the US since you are using metric sizing. You might shop a bit more and see if you can find a brass fitting instead of the plastic.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ferrule

Another problem might be that ferrule pullers usually only come in the size to remove 1/2"-5/8"" ferrules and you may have a different sized copper tube.