Washer stand pipe, trap, and drain within one stud bay

Users who are viewing this thread

Bsperr

Reaction score
I'm re-plumbing our washing machine and am planning to use a sioux chief ox-box in the configuration shown in the picture. It's a 2*4 wall with studs placed 16" on center (so around 14 1/2" space between the studs). The instructions to the washing machine box say that everything should fit within the stud bay, but when I lay all of the parts out like in the picture, it takes up too much space. I was thinking I could angle the stand pipe a little bit or put in an offset on the standpipe to gain some space, but then it doesn't seem like the pipes wouldn't be seated squarely. Does anyone have any experience with these boxes or know why this configuration isn't working for me? Are there 2" p-traps that maybe take up less space? Thanks.

Attachments

• washer pic.jpg
    washer pic.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 95,895

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you using a Santee like in the picture, or a combo?
Are you using a solvent weld (glued) p-trap, or one with a swivel nut. the swivel nut is not legal in a wall.

You can offset the standpipe if needed, or drill through to the next bay.
Most of the time, I drill through from a studbay nearby.
I also like to use a single box with valves and drain.

Last edited:

Bsperr

Reaction score
I'm using a regular santee and a solvent weld p-trap. I thought there might be something real basic that I'm missing, but it could be that the claim that it fits within one stud bay (without a little modification) isn't too accurate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would fit if you used a shorter piece of pipe between the trap and the tee, but then I would NEVER use that configuration regardless of how it fit.

Bsperr

Reaction score
It would fit if you used a shorter piece of pipe between the trap and the tee, but then I would NEVER use that configuration regardless of how it fit.

Do you think it's best to just drill over into the next stud bay?

DavidTu

Reaction score
Are most one-box washer boxes created equal or are there favorites brands/models you guys have for higher-quality or more sturdy units?

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The developed length of the trap arm must be minimum 4". What you show is probably under that, meaning it is an S trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY trap with a vent, unless the arm is too long, is NOT an "S" trap, regardless of how short the arm is. There are many washer box designs and each has its own unique features. You use the one which suits your needs the best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks