washer plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

dugulater

Reaction score
i am installing a washer and dryer and have a few questions. The easy one is the typical height of the drain box (top of open pipe). My second issue is more frustrating for me. I have two drain lines to connect to. One is a cast pipe but it is 3 feet off the ground. The other option is a pvc pipe that goes out the side wall at ground level... only issue is it is 1 1/2' inch not 2 ". The thought of tapping into a pipe so high scares me and i can't figure out how i pull off a trap. The 1 1/2" pipe was used by the previous owner and is a dedicated line to the septic tank buat all i read says it is too small. Btw, there is no venting issue with either... i will tie into a 3" pipe going directly to the roof. Thanks for opinions on the best of two evils.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
UPC calls for the washing machine trap to be between 6" and 18" above floor, and top of stand pipe to be 18" to 30" above trap. That makes the top of the standpipe between 24 and 48" The 3' ht of your pipe is a problem. Exactly what is that smaller pipe? What is connected to it now?

dugulater

Reaction score
clarification

The 1.5" pvc pipe was installed by previous owner as a dedicated line for the washing maching. So, it is connected to nothing in the house. It would be the ideal option but i am worried about it backing up because of the smaller diameter. I can replace the 1.5" with 2" up until the point it goes out the wall. The good news is that it is at the floor level.

dugulater

Reaction score
HJ - I don't think i have a venting issue because the 3" pipe is dry except for a bathroom sink. The toilet and show all flow into the pipe below the connection for the washer. basically, each drain has a dry pipe attached above any water flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks