Washer/Laundry Drain... What would you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

txremodel1

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance here... would value and appreciate any and all input.

Have a 1970s slab ranch house with cast iron DWV. Washer drain overflows from standpipe from time to time. Not consistent and I suspect it is from normal build up... lint, etc. P-trap must be sub-grade below the slab, because it's not in the wall. I can remove the fernco and check or will check with my small diameter snake. No visible vent pipe at location of washer drain.

I also understand that 2" CI is likely to "close up" or become restricted when compared to 4" CI? Might be my situation. Wish that I had a drain camera and I am considering purchasing a cheaper one for this exact reason.

Anyhow, doing a major remodel on this side of the house and do not want to deal with this overflow issue in the future. Considering the following options -

1) Do nothing but monthly or quarterly "maintenance" and snake the drain to clear any obstructions.

2) Use rotary hammer to replace 2" CI with PVC. A lot of work, but might be the best option? Slab is not post-tension. Will be doing similar work for a master bath and shower.

3) Provided it meets code, there is a main 3" CI stack that is located on the other side of the wall - see picture. This is the master vanity. Approximately 58" from center of current washer drain to center of stack. Could swap dryer and washer locations, putting the washer drain even closer to the vent stack. I assume that I could then cap off the original 2" CI washer drain.​

I am sure there are other options and this is why I came here for advice. If option #3 is feasible and meets code, it seems that it would be the quickest solution?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

txremodel1

Reaction score
Anyone? Would appreciate any advice....

I must have said something really dumb, or maybe the answer is obvious and it's to bust into the slab to fix this long term.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kind of a tough one.
I like to see a p-trap and vent for the p-trap. The p-trap goes above the floor.
I'm not sure that what you have is correct in any way. I would pull the pipe off the top, and do some exploring.
If you can snake the line, good.
Is there a buried p-trap there? If not, you should add one with a vent.

txremodel1

Reaction score
Kind of a tough one.
I like to see a p-trap and vent for the p-trap. The p-trap goes above the floor.
I'm not sure that what you have is correct in any way. I would pull the pipe off the top, and do some exploring.
If you can snake the line, good.
Is there a buried p-trap there? If not, you should add one with a vent.

Thanks Sir! Makes complete sense... I don't smell sewer and we have be been in the house for 3+ years, but that doesn't mean there is anything. A vent definitely might resolve the issue by itself. If I do redo with a SCH 40 trap, I will keep it in the wall!

I will be checking for a trap below tonight. Will check back in once I know more. Sure do appreciate the response!

txremodel1

Reaction score
Checked this evening and there's definitely a trap in the slab.

Thinking about it more, maybe the immediate workaround is a clean out at this location. As I get ready to do more on the remodel, I can take the rotary hammer to the slab and replace with PVC... Stub it out to a vent and put the trap in the wall.

Open to other ideas if you have any suggestions. I hate the idea of breaking open the slab, but it almost seems necessary at this point.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why don't you have a cam inspection?

They are not that expensive, and worth the money.

txremodel1

Reaction score
Why don't you have a cam inspection?

They are not that expensive, and worth the money.

Thanks! I like that idea. Heck, while they are at it... can get them to use the locator and chalk the slab for where I will eventually be cutting or breaking into the slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks