Washer in basement-drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have no other fixtures in my basement other than the washers and have no need for a pump. How about adding some sort of check valves to the 2" PVC washer drains after the traps? When is a back water valve used on a sewer line? My town expanded it's sewer facility around 1972. I immediately had my house hooked to it. I was not home when that line was done. I assume it was just a pipe laid in the ground and connected from my house to the towns line at the street. There is some sort of access box in one of my driveways. Don't know whats down in there. I got a drawing not long ago showing the location of that access to the sewer line and dug down and found what appeared to be a piece of diamond plate. 4-6" down. So my point is.....when or why are backwater valves installed in a sewer line like my and wouldn't that prevent a sewage backup into a home?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks