Washer Floods Into Kitchen Sink & Rerouting Furnace Condensate Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin Rampage

Reaction score
We have been having a problem with the washer flooding into our kitchen sink after it drains for a while. It's just a little bit, but it peeks up through the kitchen drain. I ripped the drywall off behind our washer a year or so ago after we had a flood from the washer. I ran a large motorized snake throughout the main drain of the house and it didn't find anything.

Last week, our high efficiency furnace's (located in the attic) condensate drain froze from outside and went up the pipe, all of the way to the furnace. Luckily, the furnace had a safety shut down switch for a situation like this. I know that these units should not be installed in an attic space, but the guy who lived here before us put it together. All of the lines are insulated really well, but since an icicle formed on the outside and moved it's way up the pipe, it insulation failed (according the HVAC tech). I currently have a temporary vinyl hose connected to the furnace and draining into the garage into a bucket. I want to maybe install a utility sink next to the washer and dryer. I would then rebuild the condensate drain and run it through the ceiling and into the sink itself to drain. This will eliminate any further freezing, I hope.

I attached an image of the drain behind my washer and dryer. There is an odd vent connected to the pipe coming down from the washer drain and a solid vent pipe (on the right) going up through the roof (it's not clogged from what I could see from the rooftop).

Does anyone have any other ideas for what to do with the condensate drain or ideas about how I would go about running a drain from the utility sink to the main drain, without causing any further issues. Maybe I should rebuild the drain system behind the washer with PVC pipe? The double vent seems odd to me. I know nothing about plumbing though so there is that. haha

The utility sink would be installed on the right side of the washer and dryer. So the piping would come in from the left in this photo.

Thanks for your time! This forum has helped me out so many times. So many great ideas/fixes.

Attachments

• pipingpages.jpg
    pipingpages.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 370

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From the picture I don't know why the sink and washer are at odds.
Options for adding a sink to the right there, one would be to bring in a line below the washer trap, there other would be to tee off the standpipe for the washer.

Justin Rampage

Reaction score
After thinking on it over night. I'm wondering if it would be better to just put the utility sink in the garage, to the right of the washer drain. I used a popular image that I found on this forum and edited it to maybe work for my situation. Let me know what you think. Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• washer_rough.jpg
    washer_rough.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 563
  • washer_rough1.jpg
    washer_rough1.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 430
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks