Washer drain-is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

David S

Reaction score
So I have now switched everything over from my crappy Kitec to pex! When I did my washing machine supply lines I saw the drain line has a "y" above the trap that is open and not capped off? Is this ok? Been like this for 13 yrs and never had a problem but I can't think of a reason for this but am also just a diyer. They just stuck a reducer in the end of it for some reason??? See pic for details.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 174

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not ok. It is a flood just waiting to happen. It needs to be caped off or re done without the extra tee

MKS

Reaction score
The trap arm, pipe connecting trap outlet to drain t, looks like it is 1 1/2 " . I believe the entire washing machine drain system should be 2".

David S

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I will cap it off today, I was thinking the same thing that if the washer dumped enough water quickly enough it come up past the "Y" and leak everywhere... Not sure why they would do that unless they thought they were going to run another line into it? My water heater is only 2 ft away from that?? I can't remember the size of the line but I think I will leave that part alone for now.

Thank you again!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's for a water heater T&P, it's easy enough to add a 90 and standpipe to raise it to the same height as the washer standpipe.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The standpipe does not look like it is tall enough. Maybe you cut it when you removed the "washer outlet box"
What is the orange pipe to the right of the PVC?

David S

Reaction score
On my water heater the expansion drain (I think that is what you mean by t/p) runs outside. Does it matter if I just cap it off or run a 90 to the height of the standpipe? In that pic I did cut the standpipe down so I could get my new box where I needed it. I added another section of the pipe to bring it up higher again. The orange pipe was a piece of the old lovely and beautiful Kitec... It is now all gone and I am filling out my claim form to send to them along with a box of all of the fittings I could cut out... I was amazed at how many kitec fittings I could just spin with my hand with little resistance. I know the Uponor I used once that was set there was no way it was spinning around. The fittings on the kitec my 6 yr old could spin.. Really surprised I did not have more leaks but I'm sure I would have. Thanks for the input again!! Without this webiste I would not have been able to tackle my plumbing problems so many thanks to all who contribute!!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Why bother to add a 90 and extend it if it is not going to being used. And once you reinstall your washer connection/drain box (and drywall) you won't be able to get to that second stand pipe. I'd just cap it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks