Washer/Condensing Dryer Combo Install

Users who are viewing this thread

scottmstevens

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if my plan to install a LG Washer/Condensing Dryer Combo in my unit would meet code in BC, Canada. My condo is a two floor unit, on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a three floor condo building in New Westminster, BC. Currently there is no plumbing on the 3rd floor other than the metal ventilation stack that comes from my 2nd floor bathroom and assuming the unit below me as well as the neighbors throw the wall. I was wondering if I could run the water up from the bathroom and then tie into the ventilation stack for drainage. Please see the picture below of current plumbing and proposed plumbing. Thanks in advance for the help!!

plumbing.jpg

Scott

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once a vent, always a vent...you cannot drain into a vent. Now, if you can run a line down below the first level bathroom's drain, you might be able to tie in there...depends on how it's layed out and local codes.

Before you buy a condensing dryer...check to see if you can download and read the operator's manual. The cycle time can be huge so a couple of loads could end up being a whole day affair.

scottmstevens

Reaction score
Thanks Jim! My original plan was to run the a line down to the bathroom and tie into the waste pipe but I was hoping I could cheat. I will have to do some research of local codes before I do it. Also, thanks for the heads up on the condensing dryer. It is the only option I have in my building. I had a LG condensing drying in a previous place that I rented and it worked great but I have head horror stories of those machines.

Here are some rookie questions, if you don't mind, so I can learn a little from this experience:

-other than the purpose of them, what is the difference between a metal stack pipe and a waste stack? The metal stack pipe is exposed in the storage room on the third floor and it is solid, I would guess it is galvanized steel. The stack pipe is at least 6' long pipe with no-hub couplings.

-Would it be possible to remove the bottom half of the vent and extend the waste stack higher?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer drain needs to be a 2" line cut in below the sink below. If the sink below is either a 1-1/2" or 1-1/4" drain, then you will need to go even lower and find a pipe that is 2".

If you try to drain a washer into a 1-1/2" waste line, it will likely overflow.
Isn't the whole point of this is to drain the washer?

You can not run waste down a vent.
For one thing, if forces water out of the lower trapway. And, it's undersized for a washer anyway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first problem with your drawing is that there is NO 2 1/2" drainage piping. Second, the prohibition about NOT connecting a draw to the vent for the downstairs sink is not only a code issue, but also one of physics. WE do not know what you are referring to when you say "stack pipe" and "waste stack". The only difference between waste and vent pipes is what they are used for, otherwise they look the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks