Wash basin drain

Users who are viewing this thread

graemew

Reaction score
I have a 2" metal standpipe that my washing machine drains into. The standpipe is about 3' tall. I would like to install a wash basin beside the washing machine, but the basin drain is less than 3' above the ground. Does anyone have a recommendation for connecting the basin drain to the standpipe? I was thinking about cutting the standpipe about 6''-12" off the ground, adding a Y, and then adding the cut section of the standpipe back on.

What do you think?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The sink and washer standpipe must each have their own p-trap, and the traps must be vented. If you are in the U.S., the traps must be above the floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What do you think?

It is NOT what we think, which you don't want to hear, but rather what you SHOULD do, namely, cut the sink drain into a drain line, and install a proper drain and vent. Probably NOT a DIY project.

graemew

Reaction score
Standpipe

What would be the problem if I installed a Wye at the base of the standpipe? The washbasin has it's own P-trap, and the drain will be vented the same way that the washing machine drain is.

What would be the best way to install a Wye in a 2" copper standpipe anyway? I can't find any copper Wyes that size. The best that I can see is to go standpipe, rubber union, pipe, Wye, pipe, rubber union, standpipe. Not exactly the tidiest looking add-on then.

Attachments

• Standpipe.jpg
    Standpipe.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 117
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks