Was this shower drain installed incorrectly?

Users who are viewing this thread

yourboyblue

Reaction score
I work at a retreat center and we have a relatively new building with 6 showers. I got a call today that one was draining slowly and went to investigate and snake. I tried to remove the strainer, but found it had somehow been installed underneath the crown ring. All the shower drains are installed this way. Were these put in improperly, or is there some way to remove the strainer that I'm not understanding?

If they were installed improperly, is the best route to just cut the strainer out and re-install a new one on top of the ring?

Thanks for the help!

photo (1).JPG

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Looks like the strainer is under ring...

You could VERY carefully take a razor knive and carefully cut some grout out around rim but Id be EXTREMELY careful, we do not know if thats A full mortar bed or a Thinbed shower pan , your membrane could be just under the rock/thinset.

another maybe smarter option would be to cut the strainer somehow ( tin snips? andgle grinder? and sneak it out from under there, and replace with a new one ON TOP!

See what the others think.....

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How deep is the 'bowl' of the drain? Is it deep enough to remove the screws, tilt the cover, and remove it through that wider cutout of the rim? There may be no cutting required, but for maximum support, it would make sense to be on top of that rim. If the height isn't correct, that may have allowed water to pool around it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have to cut a recess about 3/8" deep around the drain so the ring would come out, then regrouting the groove, but cutting the strainer and then installing a new one properly would be a lot easier.

Reach4

Reaction score
pix_2.jpg
I think the line of separation is where I have marked in yellow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the whole strainer just literally installed upside down? IF so, I'm surprised they could get the folded lip to be so smooth. If there's actually a slight lip there to the grout on the outside of the drain, you could take sometime like a cotton swab and saturate it with a strong vinegar and wipe the joint. Do that several times over several hours, and you may end up dissolving enough of the thinset or grout to get it loose if it won't come out with a little persuasion once the screws are removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks