Warped, cracked flange question..

Users who are viewing this thread

Zach

Reaction score
I am the new owner of a 1929 home and am rebuilding a 2nd floor half bath that has had previous water damage. It appears the toilet has leaked and rotted the subfloor. The PO replaced the subfloor (and did a shoddy job), but the repair is also damaged. The toilet flange apears to be cast iron (the dwv pipes are all cast iron). It has one missing ear, and the opposite side appears a bit warped. The PO had placed a red plastic flange on top of this one and attempted to seal the "connection" with wax. I'm assuming this is why it didn't last.

Is it possible to bend the warped side of the flange back into shape? Can I cut it off and use one of the PVC mechanical flange connections that has been talked about here in the past? How do I cut off the old flange?

Zach

Reaction score
Yes. Due to a leak the PO repaired poorly, I have pulled the entire subfloor.

It's also been suggested to me that I replace the cast iron pipe for this bathroom with pvc, so that I can fit additional bracing between the joists. There were two joists cut when the bathroom was installed, who-knows-how-long ago.

But even with replacing the PVC, I still have the problem of how to remove the cast iron. Can I melt the lead out of the joints, or do I have to chip it out? Cut the pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

You are taking a fairly simple job and turning it into a project. A plumber could take that flange off and lead a new one on in a matter of "minutes".

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
snap_cutter.jpg

Use what we call a snap cutter, you could rent one, or a sawsall will cut the pipe, slow rpm's when cutting cast with bu-metal blades.. I'd install a new flange if it was me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks