Warned on inspectors...

Users who are viewing this thread

jaynote1

Plumber
Reaction score
Snap!....

well said,chevy, youre exactly right, they are municipal employees and should present themselves as such...im glad that you have such an agreeable inspector, i wish they were all like that....the inspector can be your 'best friend' when trying to get something like this done.......our inspectors are great guys and i would go to them with anything that i had a question about....wish they were all like that...........

Coach606

Reaction score
good point

"He was extremelly helpful, and told me exactly what he wanted me to do."

That's all I want. Sounds like an awesome inspector. The responsibility an inspector has does not preclude them simply telling you what they would like to see if they want to see something other than everything permitted in the code.

There is actually very little in the IPC 2003 code that says, "up to the discretion of the inspector." That's not a part of the code as I have read it. It's a reasonable power to give inspectors as their job is safety. It is a big responsibility and I don't see it being served when an inspector leaps out of his car with approval stickers in hand, either, just because he knows who is doing the work. People can make mistakes and his job is to inspect. That's exactly the kind of thing that leads people to doubt their integrity and get really angry when they get a hard time from an inspector.

I have no experience with inspectors as of yet, I'm still working on zoning issues, estimates, bids and permits. I just hope they're reasonable and judge the work.

jaynote1

Plumber
Reaction score
You must understand, coach, that the reason that the inspector "got out with stickers in hand" is that he has known the plumber for more than thirty years, has been through the mistakes the plumber has made, and knows that if 'this particular plumber' is doing the job, then its going to be done correctly.....when he pulled up on MY job, he had the level in hand, because he knows that im still learning...its when he pulled up on my bosses job that he knew that it would be up to snuff...IPC is not the only code that our city inspectors go by, and the municipality gives them a great deal of leeway....Inspectors are human, also, and just like me and you, they can get an idea of with whom they are dealing, whether its someone who is trying to get over, or someone who wants to do it right....Our inspectors dont hand out stickers like candy, but they know with whom they are dealing..........

Coach606

Reaction score
didn't mean to imply that...

I follow you. I don't want to bash anyone. I just started the thread to hear about other people's experiences. A few people I know in from the local hardware store told me horror stories from back in the day (and in a different town) and then advised me to to play it very carefully and not to ask the inspector to come out beforehand because he could just say, "I'm requiring a plumber."

If an inspector really wanted to I guess he could do that. But it sounds like most inspectors are reasonable people.

Thanks for information, everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks