wanting to add a 100A service to my garage

Users who are viewing this thread

number1hag

Reaction score
i have a 200A service in my house whitch i am going to replace as my lights keep flickering. i am wanting to add 100A service to my garage for woodworking tools and extra outlets. i have a lisened and bonded electrician who will let me pick up all the mateirials and he will do the work. (lets me save a bunch of money) what i am wanting to know is can i jump the 100A service from my 200A service? will i need the electric co. to install larger lines from the ploe to the house? i will only be using the woodworking tools for hobby and my own home remodel, not production. so they will not be used all that often. tring to get all the info and matierials before i get the electrician over here. up here code is a reason for putting on a coat and nothing more. my main concern is safty. thanks in addvance for all the wisdom i am about to receive.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You can connect your 100A subpanel to your 200A main panel in your house. The loading is what determines the size of the service, not the breaker size. Your electrician should tell you what you need to buy for this.

Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you add up the capacity of all of the CB in your current panel, it is likely that it exceeds the 200A coming in...throwing in another breaker at 100A is still possible as indicated...only if the entire load exceeds the main does it become a problem. Even with 100A available, you probably wouldn't have everything turned on in the garage.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
It might be worthwile to upgrade to 400 amp service. You would have one meter and two 200 amp disconnect boxes one going to the garage and one to the house.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
It might be worthwile to upgrade to 400 amp service. You would have one meter and two 200 amp disconnect boxes one going to the garage and one to the house.

Could be WAY overkill, I would suggest a proper load calc, and take it from there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks