Wanted: Long Tank Life

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by brasche, Aug 22, 2011.

1. brasche

brasche New Member

I have a few residential rentals and want to proactively replace the aging 2nd floor electric water heaters before the tanks leak. I'm ready to pay more for quality but I'm having a hard time finding quality lowboys that will fit in a confined space (23w x 27d x 38h).

I've seen that A.O. Smith and Bradford White have lowboys with 10 year warranties. Are these tanks long lived? Are there better choices?

Thanks for helping. Brian Rasche, Orlando, FL
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I might end up cheaper to just proactively replace the things on a regular basis. Some rated for very long life are quite a bit more expensive than others. A good sacraficial anode definately helps - it's the same technology that prevents a ship, bridge, or bouy from rusting away to nothing in the lakes/oceans. But, it must be maintained. Some condo/apartment houses mandate periodic replacement to preclude group water damages and minimize potential service calls.
  4. brasche

brasche New Member

Thank you both. Soon I will be replacing the anodes in many of my first floor tanks.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

If you have head room and a impact wrench....

And get a DEEP drain pan and a reliable drain on it.