Want to move washing machine - vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

ajohnso5

Reaction score
I want to move my washing machine to another wall of the same room. I want to know the guidelines on the vent for the waste line. Do I need to run a line to my roof? Can I just connect to the drain line if I am close enough to the main vent stack? Thanks for your help!!! - Allison

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

You do need a vent, unless there are no other plumbing fixtures above the point where you make the connection. If you need a separate vent, then it either has to go through the roof, or connect to an existing one, such as the one at the original location.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Air Admittance Valve

Although air admittance valves are approved by most large code bodies they still are not allowed by every state or municipality. They are used too much as a short cut rather than a necessity. They are sometimes needed in todays complex building designs and unusual fixture layouts or locations, But one should not install something that can fail so easily and often just to save a dollar when there is a better and safer solution. I have already removed or replaced 5 AAVs during last month because they failed (stuck closed) and they all happened to be installed on washing machines. 2 of them I had to replace, but the others only required a couple ftgs, pipe and flashing and less than an 1 hr labor to vent them through the roof. One home owner was pretty upset to see it was that easy to vent properly, as now they have to replace 2 rooms of new pergo floating floor because of the water damage caused by an air locked drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks