Want to add zones, but NO MASTER VALVE CONTROL BOX

Users who are viewing this thread

nasdaqer

Reaction score
Let me just say this is a great bunch of forums -- so glad I found it.

I have a Hunter control box with 6 existing zones, and and I need to add zones, but its full, so I am putting in a second box so I can add four additional zones.

I thought that I would begin by locating the master valve control box, but for the life of me, I can't find it! Our house is a newer house (less than 5 years) but all i can find are the different smaller valve boxes. Its almost like the sprinklers are connected in a series.

How to tap in and add extra zones??

PSLawnService

Reaction score
You have many unknowns here.
Was the system installed commercially?
Where on your property are you planning on adding zones in relation to where your existing zones are?
Do you have enough pressure with adaquate GPM to irrigate to an extended area?
How many of the smaller valve boxes did you find?
How many valves are there in each box?
Most common is to have a collection of valves in one box. If you have many (more than 5-6) zones you could have more underground valve boxes, each with a collection of valves. There is not a set standard here.
Less common is to have one valve in each underground box.
Start out by getting a couple of bids from commercial installers. Have the contractors explain how they would do it. At that point you will find out if what you are planning would work. BEFORE you start a large do-it-yourself project like this you would need to learn in detail what needs to be done.

Wallskev

Reaction score
single and multile control box's on the system

I have a system with both single and multile control box's on the system with no issues. It has to do with where they are. I have 16 ones 3 multiple valve boxes and 4 single valve boxes for speciifc zones. Only 1 of teh multi bxes is nea the surce, the others are arund the yard based on where the mains were run.

Look for a valve where the suply comes on to the system. I have a neighbor that has no valve except at the road/meter pit as that meter pit is for only the irrigation system.

As to adding zones it all has to do with the number of heads and pressure drop on the system when the zone valves are open not the number of zones or circuits.

See http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/formulas.htm

Tap in on a main PRIOR to the first valve box nd run a main to the new valve box. I would put a shutoff right at the "Tee" on the main for maintenace in the future.

Kevin

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What makes you think there is a "master control valve". >???? You may simply have a manual shut-off valve where the sprinklers tap off from the water main, and pipe or pipes running to your manifolds. If the manifolds are not anti-siphon valves, then I hope you have a master backflow valve somethere. But nonetheless, there may not be any master.

The biggest clue to this would be on the terminal board in your timer. It will have a terminal labeled "pump start" or "master" or something like that. If no wire is connected there, then that is your answer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks