Want a warm cellar

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Why would You put Grandma in the cellar ?

I wish I had one that was not 6 feet under.

I think 120,000 BTU is about 1 gallon of fuel a hour. And some of that energy is wasted in the venting.

Last edited:

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
Thank you for this info! Interesting about the cycle times vs. the output.
Reason we opted for a larger oil furnace, was that we added a dormer and bathroom to the upstairs. And then added a fairly large Brady sunroom onto our living room on ground floor.

I am glad you told us this, as the house is square and fairly well insulated. Its about 56 years old. The garage in the cellar is the only ‘leaky’ thing. We put in new windows about 15 years ago also.

My aunt lived in Chatham, you are right about the wind there. We are more protected here. My brother has a 100 year old large house in Cataumet (2.4 miles from us)on a bluff over the ocean heading SW, which the winds with more velocity come from. His heating bill is more than ours would ever be even if our house was 4 times as large.

Thank you for explaining this so well, as now I have a much better understanding about correctly sizing a furnace for the house.

Now for another question, I priced some of the Nordyne and other brands that my son in law could purchase and some furnaces that we could purchase(retail?) and they ranged between a bit below $1000 and topped out around $2200. So we are wondering what this will cost including installation, and one of these things, https://libertywholesalesupply.com/navien-cnc-01-condensate-neutralizer-cartridge.html
if we need it.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain things so well to us!

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
True, Yes, a bit too large a furnace.
And this grandma wants to stay above ground for a while.

Now that we plan to take the coal out, will be a lot cleaner when we vac and clean up all the coal dust. Plan to make more of a family room down there, my laundry room will get more shelves, and my husband's 2 work shops will be a lot spiffier when I finish my clean up. Did part of our pantry yesterday. A fun project this is.

Actually the cellar is the only place in the house that is not full of dog and cat fur! We dont let the pets down cellar.

DonL

Reaction score
Just looking at Goodman furnaces this morning, parts availability is great too.

Made in Houston Texas.

I would trust a Goodman, and I think their warranty is good, and you can extend it if you want too.

You just need to make sure you have a Trusted Installer, And they give you the proper paper work for the Warranty.

Last edited:

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
Both estimates came in, the Lennox is $3800 includes everything, wiring too.
This one.
"Lennox Elite Series Furnace EL296UH045XE36B with 45,000 Btus of heat and a three ton blower drive. The furnace can produce between 29,000 and 44,000 Btus of heat."

The same for the Carrier, wiring and everything included, at $3534
http://www.carrier.com/homecomfort/...ling/gas-furnaces/product---furnaces---59sp5/
This one.
Im not good at comparing very well, so what do you all think. We most likely will go with the Carrier because availability of parts and the 10 year warrantee

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
Finding that the Carrier Infinity 59TN6,
http://www.carrier.com/homecomfort/...ling/gas-furnaces/product---furnaces---59tn6/
has the variable speed motor, which is more efficient and quieter than the lower priced one we are looking at, might be the choice. A bit more expensive, but better in the long run. Think the rebate is more than the $300 which would be for the lower price Carrier. Will find this out today. This one is equivalent to the Lennox
http://www.lennox.com/products/furnaces/EL296V/

DonL

Reaction score
Carrier Infinity 96 (59TN6)
This is the one,,,,,,just waiting for the guy to get back to us, then I can order it.

That should be as good as any. They all overate their efficiency, I think.

Service after the sale is the important thing.

Good Luck.

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
Service after the sale should be OK, the guy is local, and Ive already talked with him about the availability of parts for our son in law. No problem as there is with Lennox. And there is a warrantee for 10 years on most parts. Labor, we will take care of. Efficiency down to tenths of a point is not a worry, its just like the car companies bragging about how much gas mileage their new stuff gets.

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
Its a GO! They use the 4 inch Merv filters. Its $3700 which includes a 700 rebate all inclusive. And thats 2 years of coal, and a lot less work, we are happy with this decision. Thank you all for all your help and information!

DonL

Reaction score
Its a GO! They use the 4 inch Merv filters. Its $3700 which includes a 700 rebate all inclusive. And thats 2 years of coal, and a lot less work, we are happy with this decision. Thank you all for all your help and information!

Cool Beans.

I remember in the day of unloading the Coal truck and putting it in the shoot. What a mess.

Enjoy.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
My 1920s antique in Worcester has a rectangular patch of discolored and corroded slab where the original coal bin once stood.

It also has pipe coming through the foundation wall below grade where the oil tank once stood.

It's been on the gas-grid for at least 45 years (figuring by the inspection tag on the decrepit gas furnace that was still there when by wife bought the place, before I married into this project :) )

As Energy Darwinism marches on there may even be a heat pump solution before my tenure is up. The current gas-burner is about 6 years old- I have plenty of time to weigh the options (I hope!).

capecod12

Reaction score
Website
www.jcdouglass.net
All the heating things that we go thru in our lifetimes are very interesting.
In our camp in Maine, we have an ancient kitchen kerosene huge cook-stove. And a fireplace big enuf to put a Volkswagon into, and house has no insulation, right on the ocean. And that place is damn cold unless its summer!

Our kids, grandkids, and other family deal, but grandma and gramps don't like to be up there after October or before May.
Thinking of taking our wood stove up there, but there would be no way to get coal there.
I put one of the coal stoves on craigslist to a good home only, and the other one we will keep.

DonL

Reaction score
I think a Spouse is the best body warmer.

Spooning works great.

It only requires Food and a Spouse for it to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks