wall sconce rough-in height?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by mrang@neo.rr.com, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mrang@neo.rr.com

mrang@neo.rr.com New Member

is there a typical rough-in height for the junction box for a wall sconce. i realize there are many styles and we haven't selected our fixtures yet. thanx
  2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

One factor that will be used to determine the height is the building code.
    The building code calls for no less than 6' 8" of head room.
    This will be imporant if the fixture is being installed in a hall or stairwell as the fixture can not encroach on the required width of these areas.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Bath sconces I always cut in after the fact, but hallway and etc I will go with 60-66" AFF... usually 66",
  5. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

There are many styles. Select your fixtures.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You often don't want to see the bulb (unless it is a decorative one), so that may influence the installed height.