Wall Oven connection - J-box mandatory?

Users who are viewing this thread

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Previous oven, a delightful slide in double oven + cook top unit from 1980, was connected directly via 3-wire that came through the floor behind the unit.

New oven will be installed in a base cabinet in the same location. While in the process of finishing my basement several years ago I was forward thinking enough that I replaced the 3 wire with 4 wire throught the same hole in the floor.

New oven installation instructions shows that a j-box needs to be installed in an adjacent cabinet. Question is - is the j-box mandatory? If I have enough slack in the cable can I not wire it direcly to the oven?

Thanks,

Dan

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Does the new oven come with a whip?
If it does, then you need a j box somewhere to connect the whip to the feed.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Took me a moment to figure out what you meant by "whip".

Looking at the install instructions it appears that it has a flexible metal conduit - which I think is what you mean by whip. It didn't occur to me until you asked that question but now it's obvious - has to be connected to a j-box. Since a cook top will be installed above the oven I may have to put the j-box in an adjacent cab.

Thanks JBF...

Dan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks