Wall Oven connection - J-box mandatory?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ss3964spd, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ss3964spd

ss3964spd New Member

Previous oven, a delightful slide in double oven + cook top unit from 1980, was connected directly via 3-wire that came through the floor behind the unit.

New oven will be installed in a base cabinet in the same location. While in the process of finishing my basement several years ago I was forward thinking enough that I replaced the 3 wire with 4 wire throught the same hole in the floor.

New oven installation instructions shows that a j-box needs to be installed in an adjacent cabinet. Question is - is the j-box mandatory? If I have enough slack in the cable can I not wire it direcly to the oven?

Thanks,

Dan
  2. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

Does the new oven come with a whip?
    If it does, then you need a j box somewhere to connect the whip to the feed.
  3. ss3964spd

ss3964spd New Member

Took me a moment to figure out what you meant by "whip".

Looking at the install instructions it appears that it has a flexible metal conduit - which I think is what you mean by whip. It didn't occur to me until you asked that question but now it's obvious - has to be connected to a j-box. Since a cook top will be installed above the oven I may have to put the j-box in an adjacent cab.

Thanks JBF...

Dan