Wall mount toilets- fastening systems

Users who are viewing this thread

lafoto

Reaction score
I'm looking at the different types of fastening systems used for wall mount toilets. See the photos for examples of "standard," "bullet," and in the case of Villeroy and Boch their unique "Suprafix" system that uses brackets on the wall.

What are the pros and cons of each type of fastening system?

I ask because I'm replacing a wall hung toilet on a Geberit carrier that was not installed completely square to the wall. The carrier bolts come out at a slight angle in relation to the wall.

Which type of system would be best for dealing with a situation where the carrier is not completely square to the wall? Or would it not make much difference?

CCI08012017_Standard_Bullet.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• CCI08012017_Suprafix.jpg
    CCI08012017_Suprafix.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

I have not seen the concealed bowls before. This is the standard carrier for Gerberit with the two bolts. How did the bolts get off at an angle? The holes are larger than the bolts, maybe it's okay depending on how much angle you have.

lafoto

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Terry. The bolts aren't bent but the whole carrier is off in relation to the wall. I didn't have a problem with the mounting holes and expect that I can get a new toilet tight to the wall. The problem I've had is water leaking past the rubber inlet washer because it seems to get out of position when the toilet is mounted because the pipe is slightly angled.

I believe that the size of the water exit on the Geberit carrier was modified by the plumber who installed it. It's about 40mm or 1.5 inches. But the official Geberit connector pipe is 45mm (1.77 inches). The exit pipe should also be 45mm on the carrier.

I'm thinking that if I'm able to reinstall the toilet by the book and use only the official Geberit parts for the inlet and waste connectors it should be leak free.

Here is a photo of the connectors on the rear of the wall mounted toilet. Btw, I'm in Europe and the old toilet on the Geberit carrier was a 6 liter (1.6 gallon) Catalano bowl. It never clogged and was far better than any toilet in the States.

It's getting harder to buy a 1.6 gallon toilet here. Most seem to be 4.5 liters, 1.18 gallons. Would you advise sticking to the 1.6 gallon?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_3821_low.jpg
    IMG_3821_low.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 288

lafoto

Reaction score
As to my original question about fastening systems- I called toilet maker Duravit and the representative said the different types of fastening systems are basically equal in function. The more sophisticated systems are able to hide the bolts- that's the difference.

lafoto

Reaction score
I should have said better than most toilets in the States. I see on the forum that the Toto works great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks