Wall Mount toilet - replacing felt/wax

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveewf

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a house build in the mid 60's that has wall mount American Standard toilets. I had assumed I would be able to use a wax ring for wall mount toilets however once I reinstalled the first one it leaked like a sieve. I was pretty obvious that ring wasnt made for this type of tank but I gave it a shot.

I really need advice on the pieces and parts I need to bolt this back up again. It mounts on four studs from the wall.

Here are two pics of the wall. The flange is 4.5" from lip to lip. It appears to be cooper.

Here is the back of the toilet. A std wax ring fits in the groove.

Any help is appreciated. I just need to know what parts I need and where I can find them.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

I would use a neoprene/foam rubber ring made for wall hung toilets, rather than the wax.felt one. But, the mounting method is wrong. There should be nuts on the two bottom bolts and the upper left one flush with the wall surface. Then plain washers against the nuts and wall. Install the toilet and tighten just those three acorn nuts snug. Finally install the upper right acorn nut but just contact the toilet with it and a slight bit more. DO NOT tighten it.

Steveewf

Reaction score
The neoprene/foam rubber ring, does this fit in the groove of the toilet? Is there anything that fits up into the lip of the fitting in the wall?

As far as the mounting method, I cant speak to that it. It all appears to be original.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Yes it goes into the toilet, and no there is nothing that goes on the wall. Your toilet was installed by someone who had absolutely no business installing wall hung toilets. The way it is installed ALL the weight is on the sheetrock and the toilet outlet. Doing it his way means that the very expensive carrier that was installed to support the toilet was a waste of money. Doing it the way I detailed, puts ALL the weight of the toilet and user on the carrier the way it was supposed to. In addition, because the wall sheetrock was never intended to carry that stress, every time you use the toilet it WILL flex the wall and that WILL cause a wax ring, which has absolutely no "rebound" to loosen and leak. A rubber gasket, at least, can spring back when you get off the toilet, at least until it starts to harden and lose its resiliency.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You really need to address the issue of the improperly installed carrier. The toilet will never be leak free for any length of time without the nuts backing the toilet.

Steveewf

Reaction score
Did they wall paper over the large washers?

Yes. There is no sheet rock, there are washers and nuts behind the wallpaper.

The neoprene/foam rubber ring that fits into the back of the toilet, I assume it is deep enough to seat into the cooper fitting coming from the wall when the toilet is reinstalled?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it should be! Proceed!
The washers being covered over had us worried

Snug up 3 bolts then hand tight the last one or you risk cracking the toilet.

Steveewf

Reaction score
Yes it should be! Proceed!
The washers being covered over had us worried

Snug up 3 bolts then hand tight the last one or you risk cracking the toilet.

Installed them this evening. I hadn't realized how thick and firm they were. Much different then the pictures on the internet from supply houses. Not cheap either. Of course I am sure I paid retail +.

Thanks everyone.

aviator_edb

Reaction score
A have a quick installation question on this very subject!

I am getting ready to mount my Glenwall. I have the correct hardward and gasket. Do I use any kind of sealant, glue, grease, whatever on the gasket or do I set it between the toilet and drain and tighten the bolts apprpriately?

Last edited by a moderator:

aviator_edb

Reaction score
My seal kit didn't come with any adhesive. Gasket, nuts, bolts, etc but definately no adhesive.

Any diea what kind of adhesive it it?

JBergstrom

Reaction score
toilet

I would use a neoprene/foam rubber ring made for wall hung toilets, rather than the wax.felt one. But, the mounting method is wrong. There should be nuts on the two bottom bolts and the upper left one flush with the wall surface. Then plain washers against the nuts and wall. Install the toilet and tighten just those three acorn nuts snug. Finally install the upper right acorn nut but just contact the toilet with it and a slight bit more. DO NOT tighten it.
Hi @Terry, can you give details on where the bolts/nuts should be? I'm also referencing your above post about the weight being on the carrier incorrectly. I have one of these old wall-mounted toilets, and took it off to redo the wall behind it. They used a wax ring and I've read plenty why that is wrong for a wall-mounted toilet. I bought the below waxless ring but it was leaking as soon as I turned my water on. I can't tell if I didn't get a snug fit because I didn't use the extra ring it comes with, or if I didn't tighten the toilet tight enough (though it felt like I did).

What neoprene ring do you recommend?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi @Terry, can you give details on where the bolts/nuts should be? I'm also referencing your above post about the weight being on the carrier incorrectly. I have one of these old wall-mounted toilets, and took it off to redo the wall behind it. They used a wax ring and I've read plenty why that is wrong for a wall-mounted toilet. I bought the below waxless ring but it was leaking as soon as I turned my water on. I can't tell if I didn't get a snug fit because I didn't use the extra ring it comes with, or if I didn't tighten the toilet tight enough (though it felt like I did).

What neoprene ring do you recommendI'
I've never used that style for any purpose, but it appears that its intended as a floor mount wax ring replacement rather than a wall hung gasket.

We use a Zurn or similar Neoprene gasket which appears they've included a sealant sticky tape rather than an adhesive in a tube like we used to use.

Its important that the proper depth of the drain horn into the gasket depression of the toilet be maintained. You want just the right amount of compression. The toilet must rest on perfectly plum and planed out nut/washers that prevent the toilet from bearing weight on the wall surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks