Wall mount Faucet Soldering

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ChrisNJ, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ New Member

Hi Folks!
    I'm brand new here and I have a question.

I am trying to solder this fitting:
    [​IMG]
    to a brass in-wall faucet manifold and I can't get the solder to flow. I'm using a MAPP gas torch, flux, and 95 5 solder. I clean the fittings and the manifold like normal, flux 'em, heat the fitting not the manifold, and it just wont go :mad:

What SHOULD I be doing that I'm not. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

What kind of metal is that?

You can solder brass and copper.
  3. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ New Member

Actually, upon closer examination, it may be brass. It has a chrome finish to it though. Is that messing everything up?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I didn't think you could solder to the chrome plating.
  5. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ New Member

Any suggestions then? It is a sweat type fitting? Is there an alternative method? What can I say, I'm new at this.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

chrome

You have to remove the chrome where you want to solder it. But it might be a lot easier just to buy a copper reducer like that one. What is the purpose of the fitting?
  7. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ New Member

Well, I have an assembly for a Belle Forret wall mount faucet. I need to join 1/2inch copper from the basement to the assembly. The pipe won't line up. Now, I've decided I'm gonna try and bend the pipe comin up from the basement with heat and ten just use a regular old copper union, rather than that funky thing I was gonna try.

Heating bending copper just a little bit is ok, right? I'm learning as I go :-D Any input would be great.
  8. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

While I have seen hard copper heated up to red hot then bent just as you would soft copper, I personally find it to look like a hack job. I would just get a couple of 45s and/or a 45 and street 45 to offset the copper where it needs to be.

As far as soldering that fitting, its like HJ said, you have to remove the chrome from your soldering surface. Anyone who's worked in Kentucky and has used chromed traps can testify to this.

Good luck
  9. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ New Member

45s

That sounds like a plan. I hope the Lowes around here is still open. Once I get this thing sweated and in there, I'll take a cople of pics so you guys can tell me what I should have done . . . hahahahah. Thanks! :)
  10. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

just make sure you are plumb and level coming out of the wall....

check it two or three times.....any variance will be magnified when you install the trim...and give it good support

good luck
  11. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ New Member

Racer - My guess is you've done this before. This is my wife an I's first remodel project, and she really wanted a wall mount faucet so I said "ok, I can do it". Hopefully, I will be able to make it happen :)

Any other helpfull hints you could provide?
  12. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

you can do it...they look great.

mostly just make sure it is level and plumb....and supprted well....you want it to feel rock solid!

just take your time:)