Wall insulation around cabling - OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
For my bathroom reno, I am wondering if it would be acceptable (i.e. safe) to place insulation (fibreglass-type batts) in contact with the newly installed NM cables leading to/from the switches and fixtures? I am thinking of possible heat issues (sorry if this is a n00b concern, I really don't know).

The cables are typically 14/2, and there is one 14/3.

If not, is there a minimum safe distance they should be kept free?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no problem placing insulation around NM.

Modern NM has 90 C isulation at which 14, 12, and 10 are rated at 25, 30, and 40 Amps; and those ratings are based on 3 current-carrying conductors. However, the NEC limits the use of 14, 12, and 10 to 15, 20, and 30 Amps. The heating for the permitted amps is 36%, 44%, and 56% of the 90 C ratings.

The large margin of safety means the insulation won't be a problem.

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed answer, much appreciated (especially the conclusion, hehe...:))

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks