Wall hung toilet or floor standing rear discharge toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

xiaoxiqinqin

Reaction score
I am renovating my small bathroom. The current toilet rough in is 10". I am considering two options for the toilet: wall hung or floor standing with rear discharge like Duravit starck 2 (2128090092)
http://www.duravit.us/website/homepage/products/product_overview/series/starck_2.us-en.html?p=604029.
I understand that no matter which one I type I pick, the plumbing has to be rerouted.
According to my plumber, if a wall hung is used, he has to move my waste line inside the wall cavity which will affect the floor of the adjacent room (which shares the same wall). If a floor standing with rear discharge model is used, it could be connected to a 90 degree bend like Geberit connector (152.647.00.1) http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/media/local_media/_imported/ri_rp/RP109-304-00-5.pdf. The waste pipe should be only moved toward the wall from 10" to about 4" rough in depending on the model I choose. This will reduce the amount of work.
Besides the difference on amount work required, which option has advantage on the easy maintenance and good flush performance? Do I have to move the waste pipe inside the wall cavity for wall hung toilet?
Any comments are appreciated.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Why would anybody choose to install a floor-mount rear discharge toilet? You are taking a standard setup with lots of options and converting it to one that gives you few options. Also, it's not as if the Duravit is a particularly-good flusher.

Given the extra expense you would incur to reroute stuff, you can easily afford a top-of-the-line Toto which will install on a 10" rough-in with the Unifit adapter quite easily, and you'd still come out ahead. You would end up with a beautiful-looking, great-performing toilet, for less money than your scheme, and still have something to kvell to the neighbors about. I love Philippe Starck; I have stayed in hotels he designed, used his furniture, own his design of toothbrush. I however don't see any need to use his toilet.

Look at these Totos: Soiree, Guinevere, Carlyle II, or even the Neorest, which is very schwanky. The first three will happily go on 10" with the Unifit.

Spend the money on a fixture that fits your current setup, rather on replumbing. Terry charges the same thing to install a toilet on a Unifit that he charges to install a toilet directly on a flange. It's another 10 minutes for anyone who knows what they are doing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The advantage of a "true" wall hung toilet is that it is much more sanitary as far as cleaning the floor is concerned. With a floor mount, rear outlet one, you have to do almost as many plumbing revisions, but do NOT get the sanitary benefits.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have installed two rear discharge toilets that use the floor piping. Both where a pain in the ass. Both had a wall carrier system for the tank water.

Both times I had to think outside the box to make this crazy system work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have installed two rear discharge toilets that use the floor piping.

Now WHY would you do that. You spend extra for the rear outlet toilets, more for the floor piping, and then still more to fight installing them. Quel fou.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks