Wall hung toilet and horizontal waste pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan S

Reaction score
Hi all,
To start I'd like to thank everybody for such a great forum, for even though I'm not a plumber and am relatively unknowledgeable about the trade I have gained a lot of insight and knowledge here. Very helpful as I am trying to generally plan and get what answers I can for a job I'd like to have done. Pardon my ignorance please!

I plan to have a bathroom installed on the 2nd floor of an addition I've built. The addition is a post and beam structure so all the beams are exposed and the flooring is 3" decking over the beams. The main stack is 12' from the location where, if possible, I'd like to put the toilet. Since the 3" pipe can't penetrate the floor and then turn to run horizontally, I wonder what my options are. Btw, my plan is also to install a wall hung toilet with an in-wall carrier to maximize usable floor space. In my dream scenario the pipe would turn sideways behind the toilet and then maintain a straight horizontal run for 12' (vented within a few feet and also supported every 4' and maintaining a 1/4" per foot slope) until it reaches the vertical main stack. Is this possible not only with the code regs but also with worry free functionality? Thanks in advance

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a location to put the 3" pipe, it will be fine. Normally those would hide themselves between floor joists, but if you have open ceilings below, then I guess you are in the upper wall or behind it?
Does this bathroom also have something like a shower? That trap will need to be below the floor unless you are okay with a high step off when you exit the shower.

Ryan S

Reaction score
If you have a location to put the 3" pipe, it will be fine. Normally those would hide themselves between floor joists, but if you have open ceilings below, then I guess you are in the upper wall or behind it?
Does this bathroom also have something like a shower? That trap will need to be below the floor unless you are okay with a high step off when you exit the shower.
Hi Terry, Thanks for the quick response. The horizontal waste pipe from the toilet will indeed be behind a wall, but height restricted. I believe the vent can turn horizontal once it is above the flood rim of the highest fixture? The toilet should be the only fixture on that 3" drain pipe to the main stack and I will have enough height to run the vent pipe up to about 32-35" before I need to run it horizontally.
There is a shower in the room but it's on the other side above a closet, so I'll have the ability to conceal the trap in the dropped ceiling in that closet. Thanks a bunch for the help sir!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks