Wall hung Duravit toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

urufenta

Reaction score
Just when I was ordering a Starck 2 wall hung toilet and matching bidet I read multiple complaints about the toilet " not flushing well" . Is that the toilet or improper installation? Anyone has installed and or used this particular toilet and can comment on it? Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Here's a wall-hung that flushes very well, and works with the Geberit in-wall tank as well as the Toto in-wall tank.

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1218

And here's another:

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=630

I love Phillippe Starck. Been to the club he designed in Dallas (featured in "RoboCop"). Stayed in the Paramount Hotel when he refurbished it. Have one of his toothbrushes, as well as a bunch of his nick-nacks. Not a fan of his toilet, though. Have 3 wall-hungs in our beach house. The Toto wall-hungs that were installed at our club recently perform flawlessly.

And for what it's worth, here are the Toto bidets, if you don't want to mix and match brands. Some are part of suites with Toto toilets, but not with any wall hungs.

http://www.totousa.com/Products/Bidets/Search.aspx

Figure actual price is 30-40 percent off of list price.

Last edited:

urufenta

Reaction score
Thanks. I looked it up and the problem seems to be the lack of a matching pair toilet/bidet. That is why I defaulted to Duravit, even if Toto seems to be a better quality product. However, why do so many people in different web sites complain about the flushing w/ the Duravit? Is it poor installation? Do europeans use more gpf?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A poor flush is usually a function of the design of the route by which the waste exits the bowl, and, to some extent, the route that the water takes through the bowl.

As to the Europeans...nope -- it's not that they use more water. In fact, "more water" would seem to be a panacea for all poor flushes, but I am here to tell you that it isn't. You can empty three times the usual amount of flush water into a crappy low-flow and it isn't going to keep the waste from clogging it. On the other hand, Toto was able to reduce the amount of water through some of its floor standing models from 1.6 to 1.28 gallons per flush, and still have a greater than 1000 MAP score, because the design of the trapway was so ingenious.

My worst toilet ever was a gorgeous Kohler Portait low-flow with the "ingenium" flush that matched the beautiful sink we installed in the same room. After a couple of years of clogging on absurdly-low amounts of solid material, I hit it with a sledgehammer (happiest moment in a long time) and replaced it with a Toto Drake. It was the design, pure and simple, that was the problem, and I am still amazed that Kohler had the audacity to sell it. It was beyond terrible. (I don't know how the current version of this toilet compares; they may have improved it. Or not.)

One thought -- something doesn't have to be in a "suite" to be complementary in design. Just because the manufacturer thinks that one thing "goes with" the other doesn't mean that nothing else does. Get your Starck bidet if you want, and match it to either one of the Toto wall-hungs, and you should be happy both with the look and the performance. My Toto goes very nicely with the Kohler Portrait sink. Oddly, nobody has noticed that the toilet looks different; they only notice that the toilet works -- I usually get told by folks who had used the old toilet, "Oh, you fixed the toilet in there." (embarrassing to see how many noticed how poorly it flushed) They don't notice the fact that the two items don't "match".

Last edited:

urufenta

Reaction score
Well I have not considered the option, since the toilet/bidet sit so close to each other I tought it would be and obvious difference. Another option is to spend a fortune in a Toto "does it all" unit....thanks for your help wjcandee.

Notsofast

Reaction score
I know this post is old but my current (2014) frustrations with Duravit Stark wall hung toilet prompt the comment...

I too was pulled in by the beautiful Duravit photographs and love a Stark design. That is where my love stops. I hate the toilet because it doesn't flush well, the water level is low, waste hits the ceramic 9 times out of 10 instead of the water, it is awful. The only recourse I have is to brush after every use. I would NEVER buy another and may take a sledgehammer to it as previous experienced writer describes.

I have written Duravit - they do not respond.

PS: Is it possible to use a different flush mechanism on a TOTO? The button flush is difficult for a person with arthritis or weak fingers to use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks