Wall adjacent to shower getting wet

Users who are viewing this thread

Justns11

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently finished renovating my shower and I just started using it and I've noticed some water on the cement board adjacent to the shower wall.

Here's some background. I ripped out my existing acrylic shower/tub and put in cement board, and waterproofed with Kerdi membrane (and prefab floor slope). I installed the tile and glass and all the fixtures and everything looks good.

I'm very confident that my waterproofing is working properly all the way around my tub. I've tested the floor with 5" of water for 48 hour and it didn't drop at all. The only seams I have are all overlapped and covered with the waterproofing 5" band.

I just started using the tub and I noticed some wet spots on the wall adjacent to my faucet. I think that what's happening is the water is bouncing off of my body, hitting the faucet wall and some of it is running behind the door hinge and towards the outside of the tub. It then hits the cement board and it soaks it up like a sponge. I think the attached images will do a better job explaining this.
Een7mHe.jpg

83mZlC7.jpg

XlENFyx.jpg

I'm already planning on ripping out the drywall adjacent to the tub, because of a poor taping job (you can see this in the pics). Once the drywalls removed, I should have access from behind so I can verify if my suspicions of where the water is coming from are correct.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I can do to fix this problem?

I was thinking maybe I could put some type of gasket material between my door and the tile (on the hinge side), but I don't think that will look good. That would prevent the water from getting past the door.

Any help at all is very much appreciated it. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Suggest you try posting this at www.johnbridge.com where there are LOTS of professional tillers. That site is dedicated to tiling things, as opposed to this site which covers lots of various topics, but is best at plumbing issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks